Setting Acrylic Tub

Old 09-15-10, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Setting Acrylic Tub

I noticed on the installation instructions for an acrylic bathtub they say to nail the top flange of the tub to the studs. Perhaps Iím wrong but I donít see the reason to do that.

First you got the 2Ēx 3Ē which is nailed to the studs and supports the length of the tub at the back, then after you have the cement board installed you caulk all around the bottom of it and the tub and then when you got your ceramics installed you caulk all around the tub again including the front skirt. And we should not forget that the bottom of the tub sits on top of a cement or plaster mass which after you pour, you press the tub to sit nicely over it and it hugs the bottom like a glove. I just donít see how the tub is going to move.

Is there another reason to nail the flange to the studs?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-10, 07:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, because the manufacturer says so. Would you only put one lug nut on your wheel? It prevents the tub from moving. Is there a reason why you are asking this?

Old 09-15-10, 08:22 PM
My only reason is that I donít agree. Nailing the flange to the studs (in an alcove type installation) can only lead to damaging the tub down the line IF it ever moves. And if it EVER moves, it can only move by about 1/8Ē since the wall studs on the 3 sides of the tub will prevent it moving any further

To my opinion, it is impossible for the tub to move because in the front (by the skirt on the floor) it is blocked by the floor ceramics and at the top is surrounded by the wall cement board and wall ceramics.

Old 09-16-10, 04:44 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The tub will move everytime you fill it with water and get in it. Do as the manufacturer states, and you will be assured a proper installation that will work.

Old 09-16-10, 04:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 141 Posts
I would add that I doubt caulking would hold up [where the surround meets the tub] if the tub isn't secured to the studs. As Johnny said, the tub will have movement when it's filled/drained.

Old 09-16-10, 07:32 AM
I donít want to sound stubborn neither I would like to go against the knowledge of so many members but I still do not agree.

ok lets say the tub is half full with water (now weights about 200 Lbs or ?) and there is room for the tub to move. Look at the attached picture and tell me where this 200 Lbs tub will move?

Bath Tub :: Alcove Tub picture by kolias - Photobucket

She is surrounded by ceramics on studs and there is nowhere to move. Even if you wanted to move the tub it will be impossible. Itís not the nails on the flange that hold this tub in place, itís all the surrounding structure.

In addition, we all know the size / type of the tub flange where we supposed to nail to the studs to secure the tub. This is an acrylic / plastic flange about 1.5Ē high. Can anyone tell me that by nailing this plastic flange to the studs it will prevent a 200 Lbs tub from moving? I just canít see this unless the flange was reinforced some how to add strength to it otherwise if the 200 Lbs tub moves the flange will crack where the nails are.

Old 09-16-10, 02:14 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
k

Its your tub. If you dont want to install it per the manufacturers instructions, thats your call.

Old 09-16-10, 02:28 PM
I'm about to set an acrylic tub in my master bathroom. Looking for some advice, suggestions, tips, etc. with regards to creating a mortar base (e.g., what kind of mortar to use, how much, do I place a plastic sheet between the bottom of the tub and the mortar, etc.). FYI, already pour self-leveling mortar on the wooden subfloor, which didn't level out for some reason so the floor is unlevel about 3/4" on the left side. Just wanted to mention this because I'm assuming I'll have to use a bit more mortar.

Old 09-16-10, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by kolias View Post
I don’t want to sound stubborn neither I would like to go against the knowledge of so many members but I still do not agree.
The thing is it takes little effort to install it according to the instructions. If you don't nail the flange to the studs and you find out a few months after the job is finished that the nailing was needed......... well we don't want to go there

Old 09-17-10, 03:23 PM
ok gentlemen, I loose overwhelmingly. Sorry about it

Old 09-17-10, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No need to apologize, you never know until you either ask or find out by doing....... and it's cheaper to ask first!