Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Old sliding glass shower doors - plastic bottom-stabilization track replacement?

Old sliding glass shower doors - plastic bottom-stabilization track replacement?

Old 09-22-10, 02:19 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am having an issue with my sliding glass doors in my bathroom.

I was cleaning the bathtub and removing stains using bleach; well, I decided to use bleach on the caulk (I know it doesn't work) that was dirty; of course some of it came off. The problem is that the caulk around the bottom-stabilization track of the shower (which is plastic) was actually used to stabilize the plastic so it wouldn't bend too much. When it bends too much, the shower on one side starts sliding in the opposite direction, etc.

I believe besides this issue that my doors were installed in a weird way. The rollers are just fine though, so it works.

I have attached a photo (with new caulk I have placed) of what I believe to be called the bottom-stabilization track.

Photos here:

Shower Album (2 Photos)

A better quality version of the bottom-stabilization track: http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1...1009221323.jpg

There are two photos in the album; one is directly of the bottom track and the other is of the shower in general. The additional link I provided is a better quality version of the track (more light).

I want to note that one door is off because I'm trying to allow the caulk as much drying time as possible. Please note, I'm not a caulking expert so I know the job looks terrible, but that's the way the caulk needs to be for the plastic not to bend too much.

You will notice that the tracking mechanism has rusted... the screw in the middle has rusted too. If the caulk works again like it did, I can technically still use the shower. But I'm curious if there's a generic replacement part or parts that I can buy (I don't know the make or model of the shower doors) so that I can fix the issue in a more permanent fashion.

Please take a look at the photos and assist in any way you can.

Thank you very very much!

Last edited by adrien34; 09-22-10 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added link to higher quality, clearer image...
Old 09-22-10, 04:23 PM
O
I know this isnt the answer to your question but have you considered a new door? Cleaning is leaps and bounds ahead of the old style bottom tracks. Then for hard water give a coat of Rain-X once in a while.
I just think you might be in for more aggravation than fixing your door is worth.

Old 09-23-10, 02:08 PM
A
I would definitely consider new doors, but I'm in an apartment complex.

But thanks for the feedback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: