can you install a fan above a standup shower?

Old 10-07-10, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can you install a fan above a standup shower?

Just curious. I'm down to the studs now and while it will be a long time until i choose how i'm going to finish the shower, i'm starting my research now. I have a pretty powerful "through the wall ' fan in the bathroom but i'm convinced that once that standup shower door is closed after the re-do, that the few inches of space between the door and the header just isnt enough to properly vent the shower and the water just hangs in there 'forever'. Also it's impossible to leave the door open because my bathroom door is right there.

Plus now that i'm forced to use my standard tub shower while i ripped the old one out, i'm getting an increase of 10-15% RH in the bathroom everytime i shower. I never had that before because i'm assuming all the vapor stayed in the standup shower. I had a few % spike usually, nothing like the 15% i'm getting from the regular tub. i'm amazed.

I want to prevent a repeat of what happened last time, tons of mold and literal disintegration of my old caulk and parts of the wall which didnt even have a joint, which lead to leaks.

i'm now running the fan on a timer 1 hour after i'm out of the shower and i run my santa fe all night every night, but i still wake up to 70% RH in the bathroom whereas all my other rooms are 55-60% (actually, my adjoining bedroom is 65) so something is amiss.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-10, 07:18 AM
Yes, you can put a fan above a shower. But it would need to be GFI protected. What i recommend is to get a inline fan setup. These fans you install the actually fan motor away from where the moisture is and you run flexible duct to vents where ever you want them.Panasonic FV-20NLF1 Super Quiet 240 CFM In-Line Ventilation Fan

Old 10-07-10, 07:31 AM
very interesting...now just to get up top and see what i can see/access 'above' my bathroom ceiling to run the hose. But now i just remembered this has to have somewhere to go . could i wire it together with my existing thru the wall fan and run the hose right up against the exhaust so it uses my existing hole in the wall? that way when one goes on, the other does.

also i'm assuming you install this somewhere you can access it later? id hate to have it in a spot where it couldnt be fixed if needed.

hmm...now i'm wondering, maybe i should put in a light too. Was always a bit dark in there.

Old 10-09-10, 12:03 PM
I would actually elimate the existing fan and add a register in the ceiling and use it with the inline fan. they have different models that allow more vents. You could hook 2 vents up to this one fan, and then use the existing exhaust vent for the new fan. Yes, i would defintaly put it somewhere accessible. Sure, go ahead and put a light in there too, dont forget to GFI protect the fan.

Old 10-09-10, 04:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts

I've used this before, but this is actually a fan/light combination. Customer loves it.

Old 10-09-10, 05:11 PM
i dont know if i could even get a hose over there, but assuming i could, do you think there's anyway i could just hook up my shower over to the existing fan? it sure would be the easiest. Maybe just somehow bolt a hose over part of the existing fan? i know it would be rig job but i'm not worried about looking pretty, just sucking out the shower. My main reason for asking is i really dont want to mess with anything that goes thru an exterior wall of the house and i'm assuming anything else i do requires that?

also, i understand the 2 vent idea but i really cant add any vents to the bathroom ceiling, it's just now that the shower is down to the studs, i do want to explore all my options for ventilation.

also just thinking about a fan/light combo thing. If i can just use my existing fan then i dont need a new fan so would it just be a hole in the ceiling with some kind of vent (like a speaker lol)? i'm guessing what i really would need would be a light/vent kit, not light fan.

Old 01-02-13, 10:05 AM
update: havent done a thing in 2 years but have an additional question:

as stated before my concern is the 6 or so inches above the stall door isnt enough for ventilation. would putting in a horizontal vent thru the wall above the door be a good idea to help the wall fan ' suck out' the humidity from the shower? i guess it would look kinda silly for the people who dont think about ventilation though. but ive never seen anything like this so think maybe it is silly?

i still havent checked if anything can be installed in the shower either.

Old 01-08-13, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The last fan/light box I opened had instructions in it which said "Do not install above a tub or shower." We returned it. Given that instruction, installing it would have been in violation of Section 110.3(B) of the NEC.