Designing/plans for addition?

Old 10-23-10, 07:55 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Designing/plans for addition?

Hi
We are considering an addition to our home next year. My question is who would I use to design/draw the plans to be submitted to the city permit dept? Do I need to use an architect or can another professional draw the plans? Thank you

Old 10-23-10, 02:39 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I will assume that you will get a reputable contractor to build the addition to your home. A good contractor should be able to make the plans for you and after he explains the plans to you and you are happy with the plans he will submit them to the city for the permit.

Hiring an architect is an alternative but more expensive

Old 10-24-10, 05:28 AM
W
I built an addition several years ago. I drew the plans myself but I had to have an engineer review and sign off on them before I submitted them for a permit. I found the guy in the phone book under "Consulting Engineers". You can also find residential architects in the phone book.

If you plan to DIY the addition, any money spent on professional help with the plans is a good investment.

Old 10-24-10, 08:14 AM
H
Also any tips on doing an off set pattern? Not sure if that is the right term but the same type pattern how bricks are set in?
Great Advice. That and the inspections from the various building inspectors will keep you on the right track.

Old 10-24-10, 01:34 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys,
@ Wayne; yes, I do plan to do most of this myself. Thanks for the "Consulting Engineer" tip. I had never heard of that profession.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: