granite counter tops

Old 11-01-10, 10:51 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
granite counter tops

I plan to replace my existing old counter tops with granite.
before I hire a contractor, I would appreciate any advice in this area?
for example, what kind of stone/granite give you best quality/price ration? what kind of labor charge sounds reasonable (for DFW area)?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-10, 06:43 PM
C
if you do not plan to sell soon = get what YOU want.
otherwise, don't get anything to crazy.

around here, labor is included in the price. say, $36 sq ft. or whatever.
that is what you pay.

here is something IMPORTANT
1st. make your deal with the place. then, tell them, IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, will you pay if this deal is not followed EXACTLY !
example : they tell you that they will do a section all in 1 piece. then, they break that piece, and try to get you to live with the bad part to be cut out and replaced = you will end up with 2 mismatching pieces = not good(depending on the stone you get).
or they don't give you the edge you want. or, etc, etc, etc.

2nd. pay with a credit card. anything else and you loose your customer protection.

look for the stone with the mesh on the bottom. that is weaker stone. this doesn't make it bad once it is installed. but it does make it easier to damage before install.

if the place that you pick does not speak your language well = run.

Old 11-02-10, 07:01 PM
R
thank you very much for your tip. I do not plan to move in the near future. so I need quality work.

Old 11-02-10, 07:48 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I was looking at some granite slabs this past weekend and I recall seeing the mesh backing you are talking about. What is that all about? Should I steer clear of these particular slabs?

Old 11-02-10, 08:22 PM
C
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
I was looking at some granite slabs this past weekend and I recall seeing the mesh backing you are talking about. What is that all about? Should I steer clear of these particular slabs?
that is to make the slab stronger. also, where they cut out the slab for the sink, they grind a slot in the back and front. and glue in a rod to stiffen up that area. but this doesn't really do much. and it is very possible for the slab to break there. go to the warehouse and look around through their remnants. i did, and i saw many sink cut outs that where broke in this weak area. but when the sink is installed, that area is MUCH stronger. though i still would be cautious with it.

should you avoid it ? depends. do you walk or stand on your countertops ? if not, then get whatever you want. it MOST LIKELY will not break after it is installed. the thing is, the weaker stone is the stone with the wild patterns in it. and imo that is the best looking stone. again, imo. ymmv

also. see that your cabinets can hold the weight. they probably can. my cabinets are not top grade and are fine. but someone with old weak wood could have a problem. i added reenforcemnets to my cabinets just to make me feel better

Old 11-04-10, 07:59 PM
A
granite

Also make time to go pick out the granite slab yourself. You'll see any imperfections and where they are.

Old 11-05-10, 08:26 AM
W
Originally Posted by Allison1888 View Post
Also make time to go pick out the granite slab yourself. You'll see any imperfections and where they are.
Absolutely. We drove 200 miles RT to a distribution center to pick out the exact slab we wanted for our kitchen. It's a big investment and you want to get exactly what you want. Prior to that we visited a half dozen granite installers for prices and picking their brains about granite. What kind of surface do you require, does your cost include cutouts and edging, who templates the counters, what's your guarantee etc.

We also found out that every one would knock off 10% from their listed price for cash. None of them offered that until I asked - Is that your best price? Just like buying a car.

Old 11-08-10, 05:12 PM
A
The price of granite countertops varies. It depends on its size. Obviously, the larger one is more expensive than the smaller one. Prices will also differ depending on whether the stone is natural or engineered.

Last edited by stickshift; 11-09-10 at 05:21 AM. Reason: removed link