Shower Enclosure Preparation

Old 11-02-10, 07:53 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Shower Enclosure Preparation

I will be tiling my shower this weekend and wanted to know if I need to do anything special in preparation (or not do something) for the frameless glass shower enclosure that I will be having installed. For example, I will be installing a 6" x 34" x 3/4" thick piece of travertine on the top of the knee wall that separates the tub and shower and was wondering if I need to notch this piece out so the glass can rest flush against the wall. Also, I planned on tiling about an inch past the centerline of the shower curb and want to be sure this is ok assuming the shower enclosure will rest directly in the center of the curb. Lastly, I've heard that travertine is relatively fragile compared to ceramic tile. Is the 6"x34" piece on my knee wall going to be able support a 3'x4' x 3/8" thick piece of glass?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-10, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First thing you need to do is talk with the frameless door folks as to what they need you to do in preparation. They will handle most of the fitting effort. The only prep that comes readily to mind is that you beef up the area behind the tiles where the door hinges will be secured. Also make sure the pony wall that will support the glass is sturdy enough to support the glass. As for notching the piece of marble to accommodate the glass, again talk with the glass installers before hand. One other thought. Make sure both the curb and top of the pony wall slope at least 1/8" - 1/4" in towards the shower so that the water drains inward.

Good luck. JoeP.

Old 11-09-10, 02:19 PM
M
Sloping the pony wall won't be a problem, but the shower pan is fiberglass, so I'm hoping it's already sloped. I'll check this evening.

Old 11-09-10, 04:36 PM
Okay so you are installing a shower pan which includes the curb? Then it should all be sloped appropriately.

Old 11-09-10, 04:42 PM
One quick correction to my reply. Make sure that when you set the pan it is level so that it all does pitch correctly toward the drain.

Old 11-09-10, 04:45 PM
M
Pan is already set, and is perfectly level. Therefore, I'm assuming the curb has a slight slope to it.