granite 2 inches vs 3 inches

Old 11-14-10, 06:07 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
granite 2 inches vs 3 inches

I want to do kitchen countertops and had a couple contractors quote me. both of them gave me quote on two-inch granite. what they plan to do is to put 4 inch trim or edge to make look like thicker than really is.

is 2-inch granite less durable or less expensive?
what are most people using for kitchen countertops (2-inch or 3-inch)?
thanks very much for any pointers.

Old 11-14-10, 08:30 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
check your numbers. 2 & 3 inch is not the standard

Old 11-15-10, 06:24 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's 2 or 3 cm. not inches. Most counters are 3 cm. looks better. 3 cm. equals 1.18 inches.

Jaz

Old 11-15-10, 07:12 PM
C
when i was buying my granite. we were talking about the cheaper 2cm.
it just so happened that there was another customer there. he said he had seen 2cm crack after installation. and after relooking at it, i agree that that is quite possible. 3 cm for me.

Old 11-16-10, 07:36 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Congratulations on the upcoming new countertops, Rj2010!

I know in that in my area (Atlanta, Georgia, USA), granite is listed as either 2 cm or 3 cm. The 3 cm is the preferred size – especially if the home will eventually be sold. The 2 cm granite is thinner, but granite has a near diamond-hard non-porous surface. The cracking after installation note sounds like either an improper installation was done, something was dropped on the countertop (like a light fixture or cast iron pan), or possibly that a hot pot was put on the surface (directly from the stovetop).

Granite will need to be sealed annually (twice a year if you use your kitchen frequently). However, some granite now comes pre-sealed with stain protection.

Make sure that you go to the fabricators to personally select your stone. This is critical if your granite pattern has a lot of movement (large veins or patterns in the stone). Each slab is unique so expect some color variation – that’s what makes granite so gorgeous!

Please send us photos of your finished kitchen and best wishes on this project.

Last edited by stickshift; 11-19-10 at 12:08 PM. Reason: removed company information
Old 11-16-10, 07:02 PM
C
not all granite is the same. some of it is porous . i know this as a fact.
and some is not nearly as strong as others = look at the bottom, see any mesh glued on ? why is that ?

Old 11-17-10, 06:18 AM
W
Received 24 Upvotes on 20 Posts
Porosity of granite varies. It is near impervious to the temperatures experienced in a kitchen. When I was shopping for granite I researched that a bit. IIRC granite will withstand temperatures up to 1200*F. That means hot pots and pans won't damage the stone. I routinely place hot pans from the oven and cooktop directly on the granite.

Old 11-19-10, 06:52 AM
R
thanks to everyone for your advices.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: