Kitchen backsplash newbie question

Old 11-15-10, 06:59 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen backsplash newbie question

I'm about to tackle my first "home improvement" job and I want to do a subway tile backsplash in my kitchen. I have a question about how to align the tiles in the corner so they match the end wall (end of countertop wall). For some reason the counter top end cap is just about 1/4 inch or less taller than the back counter top edge so I'm not sure how to align them so they look good. See the image for what I'm talking about. Any ideas that a newbie can do I will greatly appreciate. Thanks.

Old 11-15-10, 08:41 AM
R
Personally, I'd probably just run my tiles as you normally would along the top of the lower piece you pictured. Then on the last piece notch out a piece of the tile with a Dremel tool or your tile saw to fit over the cap sticking up in the corner. Like making your own puzzle pieces.

Old 11-15-10, 09:01 AM
D
That is what I was thinking but on the adjacent wall I would have to cut the bottom row of tiles down to make them line up. I'm assuming that will be the best way to go.

Old 11-15-10, 09:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Yep, that or you need to add something to the low side to match the height

Old 11-19-10, 10:47 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello danwilk and congratulations on your first home improvement project!

It appears that the left splash is coved into the wall and the right splash is square-topped. The height difference looks to be about 3/8” and is noticeable. You can trick the eye by creating a “level” top surface by adding a layer of complementary pencil rail. The rail allow you to create a level line on the wall from which the subway tile can be installed upward. Pencil rail is a long thin tile (about the size of a pencil!) and comes in styles – plain and fancy. Obviously you will want to select one that complements your subway tile.

Once the splash is “leveled,” your eye – and your guests’ eyes - will then be drawn to the beautiful subway tile!

Another idea is to add a thin layer of molding all the way around the existing backsplash to “even” it up. The best part of being a Do-It-Yourselfer is the creativity!

Please send us photos of your finished wall and best wishes on your first project!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: