Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Exhaust Fan Placement don't know where it should go

Old 11-15-10, 07:00 PM
S
Sip
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm doing some remodeling to my bathroom, and some insulation work in my attic. So I'd like to install a Bathroom Exhaust Vent Fan. I'm in Philadelphia, so I have a "Philadelphia Skylight". It vents outside, but in the winter, no one opens it or if they do, they forget to close it.
To describe it better, the actual skylight is 3 feet higher than the ceiling, and the walls slope to it (think a pyramid with the point cut off).
My original idea was to install a vent on the sloping wall as high as possible, so it can suck out the steam as it rises. But I'm finding very few options for exhaust fans than can be mounted on a angle or vertically.
I'm going to install a light above the bathtub. So as I can see it, I've got three options.

1. install any fan that can work on a near vertical angle in the skylight column itself.
2. install a fan and light combo in the ceiling above the bathtub.
3. install the fan in the ceiling above the toilet. And a separate light above the tub.

The only hiccup I can see is my bathroom has an arch between the bathtub and the main area.

Do vents need to be in the highest point in the bathroom? I'm guessing it would be easier to do the combo?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-10, 03:47 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I vote for #2. Don't forget, you are not limited to one exhaust fan/light combo. I have one over the shower & one over the toilet. I'm really glad I chose to install two.