Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

nailed tub to wall through flange in tub????should I remove nails..

Old 11-27-10, 08:00 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

got a whirlpool bath tub and I am putting tile above it. I drilled into the top of the tub (lip) and then shimmed and nailed it with roofing nails to the wall studs behind it. Then I read the directions and see that the nails should be above the flange that I drilled and nailed. They advise against drilling into the flange and mounting it the way I did. What is the problem with drilling and nailing the tub flange to the wall studs? I will have a hard time trying to get the nails out as I think I would crack the tub. The tile will overlap that 1 inch flange and cover the nails so no water would get to them.

any thoughts...

Old 11-27-10, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Using a drill bit a little bigger that the nail shank drill into the center of the nail head. It will pop off, then using a punch drive the nail shank into the wood so the nail clears the tub flange. Then install the nails per the instructions.

Old 11-27-10, 10:22 AM
R
Do I really need to remove the nails? What is the issue with the way I did it?

Old 11-27-10, 10:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When the tub is filled or you are standing in it the tub will settle some what. That will put pressure on the nails. If the nails are above the flange edge it will not put pressure on the nails. That is my guess. Call the manufacture if you need.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: