Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Do Contractors get offended if you do demo yourself to save money?

Old 12-03-10, 05:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I will be re-doing a bathroom and kitchen in the next couple of years and was curious if contractors would take a little $ off if the demo was done before they started, or do they prefer doing it themselves?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-10, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Well, I would think they would reduce it some....but demo is normally only a few hours. If nothing will be re-used, you can take a bathroom apart in probably 2 hrs or less...kitchen maybe a bit more if cabinets and such were being donated or recycled.

Might be able to reduce the size of the dumpster for the job or a couple less trips to the landfill.

I'd say you need to get your bids with and w/o demo..and see if its worth it to DIY.

Old 12-03-10, 10:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
About the only time a contractor would get offended is if you do work that would cause more work for him. Even then, offended isn't really the right word - you'd get charged more if he has to clean up behind you Demo shouldn't be in that category.

Old 12-03-10, 02:22 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Demo

If you do the demolition before the contractor is ready to start the construction, you could be without the bath room and kitchen for a longer period of time. Make sure the contractor will start at the appointed time.

Old 12-03-10, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I may be too careful with my demo, but if you do the demo and I do the construction, who gets blamed for the scratches on the floor between the bathroom and the front door? I take care not to allow anything to touch the floors or walls. Now you will get into a spitting contest unless pictures are taken prior to construction. I don't want to get blamed for your demo scratches. See what I mean???
Properly done, some materials such as studs, etc. can be reused in rebuilding the walls, etc. so there is a waste of money if I don't get the opportunity to see what is good and what is bad. In addition, if you are doing the demo, you may remove a support member, that will go unattended to. I won't remove them at all, just work around them until it is time to address the area.
As long as it is spelled out in writing, and both parties agree, have at it. You're paying for the dumpster anyway, whether I do it or you do it.

Old 12-08-10, 06:54 AM
i sure hope they dont get offended....i ripped apart my shower and do intend to research it and do it myself, but in case i cant, id hope a contractor would be understanding of my situation

Old 12-11-10, 12:37 PM
I am a granite counter top contractor... We certainly don't mind if our customers want to demo their own counter tops before we put the new ones in. We usually provide them with a line item option price for the demo so they can decide. Often the folks who were going to do their own decide at the last minute that we should, so with the option price it is already a known item so we just proceed at their request.