Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

How to properly seal the wall opening around a range hood vent?

Old 12-07-10, 06:36 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We are replacing our rear-venting range hood. The new one has a rectangular rear opening that is smaller than the existing, rectangular hole through the wall. Specifically, the new range hood (Zephyr AK2500) has a starting collar that is sticking out the rear of the hood and that is supposed to slip into the wall opening. We will need to somehow seal off the extraneous area. The problem is that once the hood is installed, there is no way of getting to the opening, short of removing the existing duct work from the other side, so any modifications will have to be done beforehand.

I assume that this type of situation occurs frequently enough to have a 'professional' solution, but I haven't found any dedicated products.

I was wondering if I could make a gasket by taking a sheet of some sort of compressible rubber or foam, cut out a rectangular opening in the middle of it, slip it over the collar on the range hood and then install the range hood. Or would it be better to install some sort of gasket into the wall opening and then push the range hood starting collar into it?

Are there better ways?

For example, would it be better to modify the existing duct work beginning with a dedicated transition from the hood starting collar to the existing 6" duct?

Are there any off-the-shelf products that address this problem?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Old 12-08-10, 03:52 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Either way should work but a call to the manufacturer couldn't hurt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: