clear silicone sealant won't cure

Old 12-26-10, 12:59 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question clear silicone sealant won't cure

I recently replaced my kitchen faucet and used clear silicone sealant around the base to keep water from seeping underneath.

It was supposed to cure completely in 24 hours. That was almost two weeks ago!

This tube of sealant has been sitting in my basement for over five years. This has never happened with it in the past.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I'll have to replace the sealant. Should I just scrape it off with my fingernail and then wipe with rubbing alcohol? (I don't want to scratch the surfaces with razor blades and putty knives.)

Reg.

Old 12-26-10, 01:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 854 Upvotes on 748 Posts
Silicone caulking isn't supposed to dry rock hard, it stays pliable and flexible so it can continue to work as intended. I suspect you applied too much caulk. Some solvent, a rag and maybe a plastic putty knife should help you to remove the excess. If you need to use a steel putty knife - wrap a rag around it so it won't scratch the sink/faucet.

Old 12-26-10, 03:08 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Silicone should dry to the touch in less than 1 hr. If it still comes off on your finger, it is no good. Take everything apart, thoroughly clean, and start over. But silicone is not the thing to use on a faucet gasket. Use plumbers putty for things like that.

Old 12-26-10, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,947 Upvotes on 1,747 Posts
Why put anything under a faucet gasket? Rubber gaskets are self-sealing. Or is this a hard plastic gasket?

Old 12-27-10, 05:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
If the tube is really five years old, it could be too old, I'd buy a new tube and redo the job

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: