Bathroom tub cracked

Old 12-27-10, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom tub cracked

We remodeled our bathroom ,new tub ,ceramic tile around tub tile floor. We hired a professional carpenter to do this.I got finished about a year ago.We found out this christmas morning 2010 that the tub has a six inch crack in the side where the shower curtain sort of hides it. The tub is a aquaglass.Its supposed to have a limited lifetime warranty on it.Today we found out by calling a few sources that the aqua co.which involves a couple more cos.have so many complaints against them for poor quality that the warranty is pretty much worthless.
So i guess we are stuck buying a new tub and having all the installation work and removal done all over again. The company bbb said they are producing less than quality products with many compaints. Any ideas on a problem like this. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-10, 06:26 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Most times when a tub cracks, its installation error. Typically, the tub is not supported properly from underneath, and as a result it flexes when you stand in it and fill it with water. After a while from the excessive flexing, a crack develops in the weakest area of tub constrution. Do you know if the tub was set in a bed or mortar to support the bottom?

Old 12-28-10, 08:22 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is to call the carpenter and see whether he's will to stand behind his installation

Old 01-06-11, 09:18 AM
bathroom tub cracked

We picked up a repair kit but we feel that is a waste of time.Is there a way to get the cracked tub out without removing the first row of tile around the tub? I think i know the answer but i hope i am wrong.The carpenter that installed it wont even answer his phone.We have tried at least 50 times to no avail.Its really too bad because he appeared to do a good job and really tried. We really got along well. Thanks for reading.

Old 01-30-11, 06:21 AM
W
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and was reading through some of the forums and came across this one. I too have an Aquaglass tub and matching surround and my first one also cracked and split badly. I called the company and complained and they said I didn't install it correctly but they sent me a new tub and surround free of charge.I reinstalled the new set about a year ago but the new tub is showing surface cracks in the shiny top coat and I hope it doesn't go completely through again. These models aren't the cheapest thing out there but are certainly the crappiest. I will never buy this brand again.:NO NO NO:

Old 01-30-11, 02:24 PM
bathtub tub cracked

We are 63 and we were going to put the tub in for our grandchildren but we are now going with a stand up tully tiled shower.We arent putting up with this problem.Good luck to you.The company sent us one two but we are not using it.