Vanity Installation - Sink issue

Old 12-30-10, 09:41 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vanity Installation - Sink issue

I purchased a new vanity w/ sink set (Vanity Express by RSI) for my bathroom remodel. It's not the best cabinet and sink I've ever purchased but it will hopefully work for my rental.

The problem lies in the install of the cultured marble sink onto the top of the cabinet. The cabinet will be up against a corner. What this does to the sink top is push it further out to the front and the right hand side of the cabinet. That part doesn't bother me. However, because the sink top is somewhat of a mold, the only flat surface for adhering silicone adhesive to is the right hand side and a few areas on the back end and back splash, if that makes any sense.

What I'm seeing on the underside of the front end and right hand side of the sink is a lot of space between the surface of the sink and the cabinet top. There are probably only 2-3 points of contact but they're probably about 1/2 inch. I'm not sure if those 1/2 inch contacts are going to be enough to hold that sink onto the cabinet.

Do I just fill that gap full of silicone to make up for that gap in order to adhere the sink to the cabinet? I'm not sure what else to do. Suggestions please! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-10, 09:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I would move the cabinet 1" to the right, installing a 1" filler on the left, and move it 1" out, doing a filler at the back where the crack will be exposed, and install 1" spacer at the top where you will fasten it to the wall. Then you will have the top bearing across the cabinet as it should. Remember, the top is made for a "free standing" vanity. Pushing the vanity all the way to the left takes it out of symmetry.

Old 12-30-10, 10:59 AM
J
Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about moving the cabinet as well, but any suggestions for a filler? As you can see, there is no extra material to the left of the door to adhere anything to which was why I hadn't proceeded with that option...

Unlike this other scenario of my other bathroom where there is material available...

Old 12-30-10, 11:10 AM
What you could do is move the cabinet, get a good measurement on the strip of filler you need, cut it from a piece of 1x4, wedge it in and nail or screw it in from the inside of the cabinet stile, and paint it to match.

Old 01-17-11, 06:36 PM
J
I thought I'd post finished shots of the vanity. Thank you Chandler for the suggestions. The vanity is in, using the 1 x 4 in the places mentioned.

Old 01-17-11, 06:58 PM
Like a rock!!! Great job.

Old 03-05-11, 10:42 PM
Z
Originally Posted by johnryan View Post
I thought I'd post finished shots of the vanity. Thank you Chandler for the suggestions. The vanity is in, using the 1 x 4 in the places mentioned.

chandler can you please post larger pics so the details can be seen?

Old 03-06-11, 04:08 AM
Not my pix, but that's how we suggested the OP solve his problem with moving the vanity to accommodate the top and installing filler plate against wall. That's what we suggested you do with the fillers. Would look much better than caulk. You can right click the pix and copy them in Paint and enlarge them.