Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Installing Over the Range Microwave and Vent Combo

Old 12-31-10, 04:15 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Am beginning the steps to install subject item over our 30" range.

The instructions say to install the wall mounting plate level and at 17.25" below upper cabinet bottom.

However, in checking, my upper cabinet is not level. It is off nearly 1/4" across the 30".

Should I level the mounting plate and leave a gap at one corner/side of the cabinet?
Or, should I mount the mounting plate at 17.25" on both sides and have the micro off level, but with no gap?

Thanks......

Jeff

Old 12-31-10, 04:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Catch 22........if you level your microwave it may have a slight gap.........if you kick it over to compensate, the liquids in your microwave may spill. I would opt for the plumb installation of the plate and let things fall where they may on the cabinet. You can always stain/paint a piece of screen molding and attach it around the three sides of the microwave to compensate for any visual effects you have with the cabinets being out of square.

Old 12-31-10, 05:17 AM
W
Received 25 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Is rehanging the cabinet an option?

Old 12-31-10, 05:23 AM
F
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
Is rehanging the cabinet an option?
If I rehang, I will have a 1/4" gap between the rehung cabinet and the adjacent cabinet. I suppose I could cover that with screen molding as well. Not sure which would look worse.

Old 12-31-10, 06:54 AM
J
I ran into the same issue when I did my kitchen, although not nearly as bad. If I recall it was less than 1/8" over the run. I set the microwave with the level bubble slightly off center to match the cabinet. The only problem is the door has a slight tendency to swing fully open.

Resetting the cabinet is going to be more trouble than it is worth if it is attached to adjacent cabinets. You might want to consider splitting the difference, tilt the microwave 1/8" so that it looks more level with the cabinets.

Old 12-31-10, 07:08 AM
F
You might want to consider splitting the difference, tilt the microwave 1/8" so that it looks more level with the cabinets.

I was wondering if that might work well.

Old 12-31-10, 11:33 AM
W
Received 25 Upvotes on 21 Posts
I would not install the uwave anything except level. I would either accept the gap or I would cut a filler piece to fit.

Old 01-01-11, 06:38 AM
J
I think the most noticeable problem you will have with a slight tilt is the door will tend to swing open or shut. This might get annoying after awhile. Most gaps at the top of the uwave will be unnoticeable because it sticks out a few inches from the cabinet and blocks line of sight.

My mw bracket mounted with toggle bolts so there was some room to tap it up and down until it was level. If you mount it level, you should still have some wiggle room to adjust it later

Old 01-01-11, 08:15 AM
F
Install Complete

Finished the install this morning. Placed mounting bracket perfectly level as suggested and the only gap is on the end of the unit. That's easily covered.
Thanks for all of the good help!!

For some reason, my picture is not showing here???

New Microwave/Vent Unit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by frjeff; 01-01-11 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-01-11, 09:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: