Shower Surround

Old 01-02-11, 09:07 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower Surround

We are preparing our house to sell and our realtor told us to upgrade the bathroom. This is a 5 yr old modular house. When built we went with stock everything. The master bathroom has a shower stall, a double vanity and garden tub. In reading other threads here I will assume that the shower surround has drywall behind it and not backer board. My question is can I tile around the shower surround if it is drywall. The only area that is tiled is around the tub. The floor is laminate. I will be taking up the laminate and tiling the floor. I wanted to remove the shower surround and tile it but that seems like it might be more work. Can anyone give me some ideas and maybe direct me to pictures...Thanks for all your help.

Brigid

Old 01-02-11, 12:16 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Brigid

You can install tile on regular drywall if it is outside the shower surround and will not be getting direct spray from the shower.

Since the realtor suggested upgrading the bathroom, why not ask the realtor exactly what upgrades would yield the best results? Also ask the realtor exactly how much more money you might get for the house if you upgrade the bathroom. Compare that amount to what you will expect to spend on the upgrade. Realtors I have spoken too typically tell you that you'll get a percentage of what you spend back, typically something less than what you spend. This is a concept that never makes sense to me. Only people I ever see making money on this are the ones on those ridiculous home improvement shows on tv.

Old 01-02-11, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 400 Upvotes on 327 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Consider just changing the wall color, changing the hardware (faucet, towel racks, etc.) and put some accessories around, like candles or a vase with flowers and things like that, maybe change the light fixture.
I wouldn't do anything more than that, because you'll never get it back.
There's a couple of houses around here for sale (forever), and they're asking way too much for them because they're trying to get back the money they sank into putting in fancy bathrooms. Problem is, no one wants to pay that kind of money for a house with a fancy bathroom. BIG mistake. If the new owner wants to put one in, let them do it. Plus, someone else may have different tastes than you.

Old 01-03-11, 12:14 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Shadeladie
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Consider just changing the wall color, changing the hardware (faucet, towel racks, etc.) and put some accessories around, like candles or a vase with flowers and things like that, maybe change the light fixture.
I wouldn't do anything more than that, because you'll never get it back.
Good suggestions, I'd not do any more than that either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: