Remove Sheetrock Backsplash with Tile

Old 01-07-11, 06:21 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remove Sheetrock Backsplash with Tile

I need to remove the tile from the section pictured (didn't wrap the corners). After trying to remove tile applied with thinset in another area and seeing the resulting damage, I've decided it would be easier to remove the sheetrock with the tile on it. What would be the best way to go about it? Sink is on the other side of the kitchen so water is not a problem.......should I get sheetrock again to replace it?

Thanks,

Barry

Old 01-07-11, 08:32 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You have several considerations there. You have the joint where the tile meets the countertop, you have the joint where the walls meet, the joint where the tile meets the cabinet, and the joint where the tile meets the door casing. Trying to cut that out the way you propose will not be easy.

Try a hammer and broad knife from a very flat angle, and remove the tile as best you can. After you have done that, evaluate the sheetrock to see if you can save it or it should be replaced. If you can patch it up, that would be better, as you may not have studs in the wall where you need them. Use a joint compound in powder form that you mix yourself like DuraBond. Prime it with a latex primer, then you can set the tile with a modified thinset.

Do whatever is necessary to protect that countertop, and be real carefull when you are removing that bottom row of tile. Don't wanna crack or ruin that countertop.

In another post that you had, somebody suggested putting something in the corner so that you couldn't see the joint. Boy that would be a lot easier.

Old 01-07-11, 03:24 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had to replace a section of sheetrock when I removed a couple of tiles from another section because it was damaged beyond repair. I have the tiles and the only cost at this point is my sweat. Based on your description of whats involved, I'm starting to think that I can live with it or can I?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: