Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Eco friendly cabinet doors on stainless steel kitchen cabinets?

Old 01-07-11, 04:21 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am ordering stainless steel base cabinets for my kitchen but want to warm up the steel with an eco friendly door like kirei board or cork. Is it possible to attach these doors to the steel cabinets just like you would steel doors or do you need to do something special?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-11, 07:17 PM
Red face

I'd love to see a photo when you're finished. Sounds like a great kitchen!

Old 01-08-11, 04:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
What door configuration comes with the cabinets? Are they predrilled for doors? You will find drilling stainless steel a total PITA. Mess up and you've got a hole you can't get rid of. I am curious of the design of the cabinets. Do you have pictures you can upload to a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the IMG code to your reply post?

Old 01-08-11, 05:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
welcome to the forums advocat!

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 01-08-11, 06:58 AM
C
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Mess up and you've got a hole you can't get rid of.
not true. i could come to your home and TIG that sucka right up. could be costly though.

Old 01-08-11, 08:47 AM
But can the OP? It takes special talent and equipment to do that. $$$

Old 01-08-11, 09:54 AM
A
They come with the regular doors attached so the holes are going to be there. I am ordering them from the Ridalco company.
You can see pictures here. Cant order them without standard doors.
Just don't like as much cold metal so would like to add warmth by changing out some doors if I can. they are solid stainless and I don't want them to bend out of shape from the weight.

Old 01-08-11, 10:02 AM
A
Try this again

-just one shot of these kid of cabinets
I realize the expense but I am highly allergic to formaldehyde and a lot of adhesives so it leaves out a lot of less expensive options-cant tolerate most plywoods

Old 01-08-11, 08:27 PM
C
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
But can the OP?

It takes special talent and equipment to do that. $$$
probably not. but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

indeed. my equipment, portable, is about $4000 for that job.

Old 01-08-11, 08:47 PM
A
Thanks for the input-this is a remodel will take a lot of research-I am also considering custom hardwood cabinets, but made only with all hardwoods or the formaldehyde-free hardwood or bamboo plywood. Know both options$$$ Will do some open shelving to save $$$ Glad I'm not allergic to granite, quartz, or most tiles.

Old 01-09-11, 07:55 AM
C
how about pics of your cabinets ?!

Old 01-09-11, 09:41 AM
A
Cabinet Pix

There is one on here of the Ridalco stainless steel-type cabinets. You can go to their site if interested. If I have wooden ones custom made they would be shaker-style with clean simple lines and to the ceiling but no pictures. Have to design with a carpenter since that is one area I can't do myself-my diy experience is finding designs oriented to those with health limitations since I have them. I am learning more as I go.

Old 01-09-11, 06:09 PM
You are gonna get tired of stainless steel, even if you could fit them with wooden doors, so quick your toast will burn first. It is so commercial looking with absolutely no warmth at all. I have envisioned it with wooden doors and all you will have is stainless cabinets with wood doors, not inviting at all.

Old 01-09-11, 09:10 PM
A
Chandler-
When someone is disabled in some way, functionality takes the place of personal preference. Metal cabinets are also available in colors that mimic a mid-century kitchen, another option. You look at your options and choose which will help you live your life in a healthy way. Interestingly, the trend towards stainless appliances and cabinetry is increasing, guess that's why it's becoming more available
My appliances and sink will be white, countertops, floor, backsplash, shelving, and upper cabinetry will all be warmer colors as I hope the doors will be. I do appreciate and respect your opinion, thanks.

Old 01-09-11, 10:12 PM
A
thanks

All feedback was appreciated-wanted to share an image of my ideas but it wouldn't embed.

Last edited by advocat; 01-09-11 at 10:15 PM. Reason: image would nbot embed
Old 01-10-11, 06:02 AM
Advocat, you didn't mention any disability in the OP, so we have no way of knowing things like this. I also believe you can have what you like, as opposed to what you think you must have for functionality. Well made wooden cabinetry will give long lifetime, as will stainless. Cost is another issue. You posted a picture of a sterile cabinet set up that looked like a commercial installation. Great, if the cabinets come in a more friendly color or finish, and that is what you want, or need. Can you get them in ADA heights? I have a good friend who built his entire house ADA compliant. Makes his access to everything comfortable. His cabinetry allows for full access for his wheelchair, including the range, sink and prep areas. I don't find it difficult to use any part of his kitchen, even though it is a little lower than normal.
I wasn't dissing the use of what you wanted, but would find it difficult to attach doors of wood to that cabinet design. Note the flush fit of the SS doors. Wood may prove a challenge in that respect.
If you have a picture, you will need a URL, so you may have to post it to a site such as photobucket.com and use the URL given to post it to your thread. Look forward to seeing what you plan on installing.

Old 01-10-11, 01:49 PM
A
Just wanted to reply

My disability is not being confined to a wheelchair. It's complicated and includes not tolerating chemicals like formaldehyde (I did mention that). It's hard to explain but I am legally impaired.

I am a social worker who tries to help others with disabilities. I'm impressed with your familiarity with the ADA. Most people are not familiar with the laws applying to disabilities. They forget disabilities run the gamut from blindness to illness or accident related injury.