Caulking issues in shower

Old 01-08-11, 07:15 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caulking issues in shower

I have recently caulked the place where my tub connects to the tile. It dryed correctly , but after showering a few times the caulk is wearing away from the other side of the tile. ( I think water behind the tile is somehow getting wet )

Is there a way I can fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-11, 05:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
First you need to figure out the cause. What type of caulking are you using? it should be a caulk formulated for tub use, preferably pure silicone. are you positive the tile/tub are dry before application? a hair dryer can be useful. did you clean both surfaces prior to caulking? alcohol works well. how long did you allow the caulk to dry before exposing to water? are there any cracks in the grout above the caulking?

Old 03-02-11, 10:15 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem. I cleaned both sides with chisels, razor blades, and soft scrub. I let everything air dry for 4 days. I applied DAP Kwik Seal Plus, and let it dry for 40 hours (the directions say 24 hours). The caulk started peeling off after the first shower.

Old 03-02-11, 06:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Welcome to the forums Bill!

I haven't used any DAP caulking in a long time, is the Kwik Seal latex?

You need to make good and sure everything is dry before applying caulk. A hair dryer can work well for this. You also need to clean the surface well - alcohol works good for that. The caulking should be silicone based.