Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

What will adequately hold a 60in by 39in piece of granite?

What will adequately hold a 60in by 39in piece of granite?

Old 01-18-11, 06:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What will adequately hold a 60in by 39in piece of granite?

Some counter top fabricators installed a countertop in my kitchen and convinced me to buy an island top as well. The plan is to secure the 39" flat end to the wall at standard countertop height and supporting the arch end with a couple table legs. The wall mounts should be very secure since I think there are 3 studs available. The floor is marble tile.

I've thought about going about this a few ways:
  1. The countertop fabricator suggested using a 12+" cylinder/pipe to support the rounded end. Covering this with something that will match the kitchen might be trickier. I'm also concerned with how I would have to go about shimming the cylinder in places where the floor isn't perfectly level.
  2. I've considered adding a 3/4" piece of plywood, cut to about 8" shy of the outer edge, to the bottom of the granite slab and then using that wood to secure table legs and wall mounts.
  3. Another idea was to use another piece of plywood, vertically with either "D" shaped cutouts from a 2x8 or 2x10 fastened to it to give a rounded look on the front. Then I could wrap the rounded part of he support with a piece of luan. I could also use this with some dow rods for added support.

Do any of these sound better than the other? Anyone have a better idea?

Does anyone know what is necessary to support a piece of 3cm x 39" x 60" granite? I was told it weighs about 450lbs. I'm not sure if that's correct. I just know it's heavy!

Is it safe to use silicon or epoxy to fasten it to plywood?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-11, 09:02 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whatever you do, make it stiff so it doesn't sag, because granite doesn't bend very much before it breaks. Probably method #2 would be easiest. It would be better if you doubled the plywood to make it stiffer. You could bevel the bottom half 45 degrees to make it less obtrusive. I would bring it out to 6" from the edge for extra support. Glue & screw the two plywood layers on the flattest surface you have. Then install the plywood to the wall support & legs or pedestal. Position the granite on the plywood, then run a bead of silicone around the perimeter of the plywood at the top. that's all you need. Granite doesn't get up & walk away. I couldn't follow method #3, so I'm not sure about it. 450 lbs sounds a little heavy. Most granite weighs between 13 & 17 lbs/sq ft, depending on color. Dark granite is generally denser, thus heavier than light colors. 250 to 275 lbs sounds more like it. Good luck