Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

70 year old house original bathroom-whats the best way to remove tile + mortar

Old 01-19-11, 08:16 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have an old house with original bathroom, I would like to take out all the tile + the cast iron bath tub < then put in all new tile, a new bathtub, new vanity sink mirror.

Any advice from people who have taken on such a project before ?

I have family members in the trades i can lean on for help and I will have a plumber come in and take a look as well but any pointers for someone attempting this for the first time ?

How about great place to find tile - looking for a super classic look like maybe old school white tiles

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks McBathroom

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-11, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
I would forget about the decorating end of it. I would concentrate on what type of pipe is behind the walls such as galvinized,, lead beds, cast iron....ect... Then lathe to sheet rock for walls.... ect.. You may open a can of worms. Once you get the fixture water pipes, drains, and flanges set and your all set to put your fixtures in and have the new walls up then decorate...Its only my experience....

My 2 cents

Old 01-20-11, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
More.....tear it all out and start from scratch. As Mike said, once you get the walls down, you will find the toilet setback will be too far out in the floor, so it will need modification, and at that age, there's no telling what your supply and dwv lines are made of. May want to upgrade them at the same time.

Old 01-20-11, 04:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Not to mention, opening it all up lets you also update any electrical [or move it where you want/need it] and insulation.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 01-20-11, 03:47 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I did a bathroom a couple of years back, house built in the late 40's, early 50's. All mud everywhere. Plumbing was copper, drains were galvanized to cast iron. The floor was 5" thick of concrete. I took out 6000lbs of tile/concrete, from a 6x9 bathroom, not even a tub, one man, ME. Also removed two closets from an adjoining room to enlarge the bathroom. I was about 63 when I did that job.............are you up for it???????????

They loved the finished product, but I earned every penny.