Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

toilet leaked for a long time, repairing surrounding drywall/plywood

Old 01-29-11, 12:15 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I just bought a late 60s house. The upstairs had a loose toilet with lots and lots of caulk- pulled that up and the tile around it down to the plywood. This is what I have (see below). Clearly the toilet leaked and rotted the wood (the wood behind the toilet is about 1/2 gone). The water seaped under the tile and has damaged the surrounding plywood and sheetrock (with some mold evident). I was gonna cut it as my red and green lines show and then add new plywood and new sheetrock. (the crowbar and the hammer are on joists- there is also a third joist running just to the left of the pipe). My cuts for the plywood will be centered on a joist (this is what I should do right?) and once I have the plywood out I will also run reinforcements perpendicular to the joists by the toilet pipe and right where the plywood will be. Does that plan sound ok? It irks me some to leave some damage plywood by the tub- but removing the tub isn't what I want to do (this was supposed to be a minor fix/revision...) and other than in the last few inches of plywood at the back corner of the tub, the plywood by the tub seems ok. thoughts? Agree? better ideas?

Old 01-29-11, 12:34 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
First, because all of us are gonna wanna know, why is the fill valve still connected to the water supply?

Whats down below? Is this a first floor with a basement where the joists and subfloor are exposed? Can you tell if there is any damage to the floor joists? Can you see if the subfloor under the tub is damaged.

Once you cut away the sheetrock you'll be able to determine if there is any damage to the bottom plates or any of the studs.

Old 01-29-11, 12:46 PM
W
the water valve wasnt sealing completely tight so there was a slight drip- I put the valve back on (and closed it) just so I wouldn't have to mess with the valve right now.

This bathroom is on the second story- immediatly behind the drywall there is attic access- I have been up there and can see the back of it- its pretty difficult to see underneath everything but I'm gonna try again.

Old 01-29-11, 01:44 PM
W
ok so I went in the attic and looked underneath it (well I held the camera between the joists- cant get my head in there). I've done the pictures from right to left if you are looking at the toilet/drywall from inside (taken from left to right at the wall behind)- as numbered. It appears there is some mild damge to the outer rim of the plywood under about 1/3 of the tub- (as seen underneath, photos 1-2). The wood by the toilet is bad- the only which does appear to have some visible damage is the joist right by the toilet (pic 4)- maybe I will shore up that joist with a few foot segment of joist on the side opposite the drain (along the side in photo 5). Of course I'm sure it will look worse once I get the plywood up...blah stupid old houses

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: