Tiling bathtub surround backerboard to drywall

Old 02-03-11, 04:39 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling bathtub surround backerboard to drywall

I will be installing ceramic tile for tub/shower surround. The walls and ceiling are stripped to the studs. I suppose I will start with a layer of 15# tarpaper lapped to tub and then durock or some other kind of cement board and then apply tile.

My question is since I am not planning on tiling to the ceiling, where should I terminate the cement board and transition to a course of drywall? For example, let's say I run two horizontal courses of cement board. I will then screw two 3' X 5' courses of cement board to studs and apply a narrow strip of green drywall at the top to terminate tile since this narrow strip of wall will show above tile. It obviously needs to be drywall rather than cement board above the point where tile terminates.

I will rip one course of the cement if I have to. So, I guess the tile should end up terminating on 1/2" drywall then.

Is my planning sounding right?

Thanks for any observation in advance.

bs5

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-11, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What you are planning will work, BUT use score and break to cut the backerboard to size. The silica dust from using a power saw is very unhealthy for air breathing life forms.

We use 1/2" Durock for the backerboard on surrounds so that it matches the thickness of the drywall. That way the bullnose tiles can cover the seam.