Where to Put the Toilet Paper

Old 02-05-11, 10:51 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to Put the Toilet Paper

I have a small 8'x5' bathroom. The tub is 5'x 30" and it sits against the back wall. The center of the toilet is 15" from the edge of the tub on one side. The vanity goes on the other side of it. I don't know where to put the toilet paper holder. If I attach it to the vanity its kind of behind you. If I mount it in front of the toilet it seems to far away. I haven't bought the vanity yet. Any good ideas I missed?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-11, 11:29 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
They make free standing toilet paper holders. You could set it wherever is easiest to reach.

Old 02-05-11, 11:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
What size vanity will you have? I have a 24" deep vanity with the toilet paper holder mounted on the side of it and it works ok although mine is on the right instead of left [if that makes a difference]. The only other solution is the free standing ones that Ray mentioned.

Old 02-05-11, 12:29 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Your bathroom is almost a twin to mine. [and many others, I'm sure]
When we did a bathroom renovation a dozen years ago, we had the same decision to make.

We looked at free-standing holders, in one of 2 locations: near the front corner of the vanity, or in front of the toilet, near the opposite wall, but not as far away as the wall. We were concerned about the problem of the unit tipping over, and we felt that for those 2 placements,the unit was either "in the middle of everything", or in the way of the tub/shower.
(Perhaps more modern freestanding units would address that problem.)

We also considered putting the paper holder on the side of the vanity-very close to the front edge, so as to not be "behind you".Two problems: it was a different kind of a reach/bend/contort, and we couldn't find a holder that would attach to the vanity and not mess up the drawer located at that end of the vanity. The effectiveness of that placement in your bathroom would depend on the distance from the toilet to the vanity, and the distance that the vanity projects from the wall.

We finally went with the toilet paper on the wall in front of the toilet.
The wall is 30" from the front of the bowl. It is a bit of a reach, but, except for small children, not a problem.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 02-05-11, 12:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I haven't decided on a vanity yet but my options are either 18 or 21" deep. 24" would make things tight around the door. The width is also undecided I was going to go with 36" wide that would bring the side 15" from the center of the toilet but you wouldn't have room for a toilet paper holder. I was thinking maybe a 33" wide cabinet and recessing the toilet paper holder in the cabinet.

Old 02-07-11, 07:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I had the same problem - seven years later I sold the house and was still just setting the roll on the top of the tank

Hope you get better and quicker resolution than I did