Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Converting Shower and Adjacent Garden Tub to Walk-In Shower

Old 02-06-11, 07:39 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We have a standard size shower and a separate garden tub immediately adjacent to it. We are considering taking both of these out and installing a large walk-in, tiled shower with shower heads at both ends. Does anyone have any DIY instructions, with photos, that could help us in this project. We can provide photos of our existing bathroom if needed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-11, 03:51 PM
J
Location says USA, but where are you?? This is typically, not a DIY job, unless you are well versed in a number of trades. You need footings for walls, framing for wall materials be it glass or tile, etc. And more...........!!!

Old 02-06-11, 05:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Bill, they are in Texas. Not sure why the powers haven't gotten the location thing straight on the forum. Are you sure on the "footings"? I just finished doing the same job for a client. Walk in their bathroom through a pocket door and on the right was a 32" shower-plumbing wall-garden tub. One difference, she had me make the shower into a linen closet with mirrored bifolds and a walk in shower out of the garden tub area. Plan on cubbies in the walls to hold shampoo and soap. Plan on running a 2x12 laterally around the perimeter to pick up the weight of assist bars, either now or in the future. I usually set them at 34" centered, which will give a little latitude. You will need knowledge of plumbing or contract it out as the 2" shower drain will go away, and the tub drain will need to be increased to 2" and swung to the main drain.
Shoot some pix to us http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html so we can see what you see.

Old 02-07-11, 06:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Is this the only tub in the house? If so, I would not remove it, as that can have a negative effect on resale value.

Old 02-26-11, 04:13 PM
T
There is another tub in the bathrom upstairs for those three bedrooms. There is also a window above the garden tub which we are considering replacing with glass blocks. We could probably do the demo and install the glass blocks.

Old 02-26-11, 05:33 PM
T
I have attached a few photos.

Old 02-26-11, 08:22 PM
L
Larry,

How did you figure out they're in TX? Mine stills shows them as being in the USA.

truetide, the pics didn't show up. See the instructions on How to Post Pictures, or put them on a free site like Yahoo and post the URL.

Best bet would be to hire a local General Contractor to do the project for you if you aren't comfortable with DIY all the way through. There are a lot of trades involved. A General will have all of those trades lined up and has worked with those guys before. He'll know who to use and who to avoid.

Yes, you could be your own General and sub out everything that you're not comfortable with. But ABC Plumbing might do things that will mess up XYZ Tile, and Joe Blow Electric will be cussing both of them. And Happy Painting is going to telling Get R Done Sheet & Texturing where to get off at.

Old 02-27-11, 05:20 AM
Mike, it's called "mind melding". Didn't you see Star Trek?? Naw, you have to do a dropdown on their name and go to profile. For some reason the geeks haven't found out how to make the "location" the state they live in rather than just USA or Russia. Heck I can figure out if they have Islamabad as their location, it ain't in Kansas.

Old 03-12-11, 06:55 AM
T
Photos

My photos can be seen at:

Flickr: truetide's Photostream

Old 03-12-11, 07:53 AM
Not saying it is mandatory, but that window will have to go. Have you made contingency plans for that? How about the exterior of the house. What is the outer covering? Inside is no big deal. Even a smaller light emitting solid window would work as long as it is high enough. You don't want water flowing past an opening window, and as low as the sill is on that one, it won't leave too much to the imagination for the neighbors

Old 03-12-11, 05:19 PM
T
We were consider replacing the window with glass blocks.

Old 03-13-11, 05:42 AM
Guess I should have read your other post more closely, but that is definitely a way to go !!! With that problem gone, it is a matter of getting your safety glasses and gloves and doing a demo. You'll never know the feeling until you get it all torn out back to a skeleton. Then your plans will either come together like you wanted, or you will make better ones. Keep us posted on the progress and let us know if we can help.

Old 03-13-11, 07:11 AM
T
Would you recommend taking a sledge hammer to the tub or taking it apart more maticulously?

Old 03-13-11, 07:38 AM
I should have used the term "deconstruction" as opposed to demo, sorry. I would surgically remove the glass door and panel above the knee wall. It can go to charity. With that out of the way, your shower can be deconstructed as well as the knee wall. Remove all the tile from above the tub and remove the tub. It will fit through your doorway (hopefully) sideways. Again, charity. The rest is "demo".