Glass/stone mosaic mixture for backsplash

Old 02-14-11, 07:05 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Glass/stone mosaic mixture for backsplash

I bought bought some sheets of mosaic at Floor & Decor, which is a glass/stone mixture (1"). I've had them sitting around in the boxes and it's too late to return them now. I still love the tile, but have gotten a little intimidated now and afraid I'll mess it up. Problem is that, being a mix of glass and stone, some of the stone tiles are thicker than the glass ones (+ being textured), and I am unsure how to grout something like that. I've done tiles at my house before, but they were a uniform thickness. Now I'm worried about how I will get the grout back off when I can't just swipe the float across a uniform surface. Can anyone tell me how this is best accomplished?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-11, 02:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Once you apply your grout and press it into all the joints, you will find the final sponging will make it all come together and not look blotchy. After your last sponging, use a dry towel to "polish" the haze off the tile for a perfect look. You may have to use your sponge as an applicator for the grout, since a flat trowel won't apply it evenly.

Old 02-14-11, 03:58 PM
D
Thanks, Chandler. That sounds like it would work. I'm just a little worried about the stone tiles sticking out further than the glass tiles. I guess I just can't picture how that's going to look once they're grouted. But you think it will look okay?

Have one other question. I've seen some talk on this forum about edge pieces where the tile transitions to sheetrock. Since there are no matching edge pieces, any suggestions? Also, should I put the edge piece(s) up, then fill in the tile; or do the tile and then apply the edging?

Old 02-18-11, 02:48 PM
R
Go to a tile distributor. Take one of the sheets with you and look at all the "trim" pieces. A "pencil rail" usually makes a nice border next to your mosiac tile. Usually a thin 1/2" x 8" piece that is rounded. Also tile first! It's easier to play with your border pieces than have to trim mosiac tiles! I usually make a level line and tile full pieces, making the cuts inside the surround. This make putting up the "edge pieces" a snap!