Adding a kitchen sink.

Old 02-17-11, 04:21 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a kitchen sink.

I live in a small apartment/flat/studio that is connected to someone's (landlord) house. I don't have a kitchen sink and it really bugs me. Considering I got the owner's permission, how could I install a sink in the kitchen. There is a full bathroom adjacent to it; could I just kind of split the pipes for the bathroom sink and run them 10ft to the kitchen? Please explain in detail (how much wall I'd have to tear down, what else I would have to install, etc.). How much would just the materials cost? How long would it take for one experienced man and one inexperienced helper? (my uncle can help me, I just haven't asked him yet). What are my options? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-11, 02:36 PM
R
Exclamation Do yourself a favor.............

If I were you I'd call a licensed plumber and have him come out and give you a quote to do this.

The issue may not be the drain, it may be the vent. Not sure exactly how far this kitchen sink is from the bath sink you want to tie into, the farther away, their could be an issue with the pitch of the drain.

Without seeing it I can't be specific about your situation, but a honest plumber (who may shrug that he's being called out just for advice) could tell you if this a do it yourself job.

Old 02-18-11, 02:46 PM
The materials won't cost that much, lets say $100 - $200, but without knowing whats behind the walls, any advice given would be a guess. The only way to find out would be to rip the sheetrock from the kitchen to the new sink area. As Reglazing King said, you not only have to tie into the drain, but also the vent as well.

Old 02-18-11, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Check the code in your area. You may be able to put a studor vent under the sink if your not able to vent. You may not need to take down much wall if you run the waste and water pipe along the inside of the cabinets. The only demo would be where the tie in will take place. And that may be in the cabinet as well if it butts uo to the bathroom wall.

There are also pumps that go under sinks so you can pump the drain water where you want.

What is under your apt. Basement? Crawl?

Mike NJ