can a tub surround be repaired ?

Old 02-17-11, 05:26 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can a tub surround be repaired ?

hi everyone - I just discovered (a few minutes ago) that my tubsurround is cracked. This is really upsetting to me.

I am hoping I can repair it without having to remove and replace it - here's the details of the present situation:

the surround is acrylic plastic, it is stuck onto the drywall with adhesive - it has two molded in ledges, for holding bars of soap, etc. The lower one is about 3" high and about 30" long - this ledge is hollow - it has a horizontal crack across one end of it. It looks like someone has used the soap ledge as a hoisting point and it cracked under their weight.

Since the ledge is hollow, I was hoping that I could leave the tub surround attached to the wall and inject it with something that is waterproof and would harden inside, so that water would not be able to enter the crack and the whole deal would be sealed from the inside.

What I was thinking of doing is - drilling a small hole in the top of the ledge and injecting something like silicone sealant and filling it totally I figure it would take about 3 tubes - (Or maybe I could inject a fiberglass resin into it) ? I know this is unconventional, but it is so much easier than replacing the whole tubsurround, and it sounds to me like it would work.

Am I in a fantasy world ? Is such a repair possible ? Do you guys need a picture to see what I'm talking about ? Has anyone here done such a thing ? I'm thinking that even if it doesn't work it would be worth a try - 3 tubes of sealant vs 3 - 4 hundred. what do you guys figure ?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-11, 01:54 PM
R
Smile You could...............

Typically what someone in the bathtub refinishing trade would do in this situation is to drill a hole into the shelf and pour a "foam" that expands and fills the void.
This is usually done to support the bottoms of fiberglass tubs that were installed without a product to support the bottom.
At the end of the day, you'd be better off replacing the surround. They can be purchased at most Home Improvement stores, are inexpensive and if your handy are fairly easy to install.

Old 02-18-11, 03:02 PM
J
thanks for the info - Is there such a thing as a waterproof expanding foam ?

Old 02-18-11, 03:15 PM
R
If there is I haven't heard of it. It's also quite a mess if you over-do it and the foam gets on the fiberglass......very difficult to clean off.