Granite - When will the craze end?

Old 02-19-11, 02:59 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Granite - When will the craze end?

When is the "gotta have" granite counter-top craze scheduled to end?

Why do people want this expensive, hard to maintain, not very durable, material?

What will replace it?

Just curious.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-11, 03:12 PM
D
What are you talking about? Granite is easy to maintain and very durable.

Old 02-19-11, 03:16 PM
My personal choice is soapstone. Ya, I know it scratches, but it is perfect for the DIYer. You can cut it with regular power tools, sand scratches out and it is denser that granite.

Old 02-19-11, 03:20 PM
J
Originally Posted by drooplug View Post
What are you talking about? Granite is easy to maintain and very durable.
Please tell that to my lady friend. Personally, I love the butcher block I have; and, would install ceramic tile for wet areas.

Old 02-20-11, 12:28 PM
D
There is a lot to be said for personal preference. I'm not sure what it is about granite that your lady friend thinks is too much to handle. Or what she is doing to it that is wearing it out.

Are you suggesting butcher block is less maintenance and more durable than granite?

I like tile for a back splash, but for a work top, it is less than ideal. The grout lines capture a lot of dirt.

Old 02-20-11, 04:13 PM
L
There are also cultured tops that don't need sealing like a granite top needs periodiacally.

Yes, it's pricey up front. But "hard to maintain and not durable"??? Have yet to touch the ones I put in two years ago, other than wiping them off. Haven't tried driving on them yet, but the have tolerated cast iron skillets being dropped on them without leaving a mark.

Old 02-21-11, 04:54 AM
D
I wouldn't even call granite a craze. It didn't become so popular because of a design trend. It was because of new technology that allowed the price of granite to plummet making it affordable to a wider audience.

Old 02-21-11, 06:16 AM
W
Granite has been around for many years as the premier countertop material. It has never been a craze I think it's more and more people realizing that it is the gold standard for countertops. There are new man made materials that match granite in durability and cost but I have yet to see a manmade top that can match the beauty of natural stone.

As for "hard to maintain, not very durable" I've always considered that to be bull sheet propaganda put out there by the folks that sell the other countertop materials.

Old 02-24-11, 04:56 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Granite....not that expensive..

Granite has become increasingly more affordable .
I have seen granite templated and installed for as low as $35 / sq ft.

By no means am I a granite fabricator, from the outside in it would appear versatility and exclusivity as well as the declining price of granite is what made it so popular. Compared to alternatives it is considered a luxury item and instantly more attractive, and because of the enormous variety it is easily incorporated into any design.

What does the declining price mean? It may be the beginning of the end. Perhaps the price drop lends itself to immediate increase in popularity short term, but as the elite look for a new option that offers exclusivity the market will have a new standard to strive toward.

I'm sure whatever it is will be solid surface, and expensive.
I thought by now I would see more stainless steel counter tops, but maybe its too cold/commercial for most kitchens.