Please help me design a whole new bathroom!

Old 02-24-11, 06:04 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help me design a whole new bathroom!

I need help with everything. I'm not creative at all and I just bought my first house. I have no clue what I'm doing and I need ideas on what to do with this bathroom.

Here's the pics. Please help!
The demo'ed bathtub / shower area is 58 inches by 76 inches.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-11, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! Well, the planter box has to go. I sort of like the roman style tub area, sunken and all. I think you can do something with that. It is unique. Was there a window above all this? What did you or others do to that. The framing needs to be carried all the way up to the ceiling on the same plane as the existing wall. Did the tub leak prior to your demo? Do YOU like the roman sunken tub effect? If not, then you have the right tool to take care of it laying on the floor.
If you decide to put in a conventional tub with shower, you'll need to remember they are only 60" long and about 32" wide. So your tub space will be contracted somewhat.
Give us some thoughts on what you want to accomplish. I like the party tub But I'm just an old broke down naildriver. We can help you.

Old 02-24-11, 06:35 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Welcome to the forums!! Well, the planter box has to go. I sort of like the roman style tub area, sunken and all. I think you can do something with that. It is unique. Was there a window above all this? What did you or others do to that. The framing needs to be carried all the way up to the ceiling on the same plane as the existing wall. Did the tub leak prior to your demo? Do YOU like the roman sunken tub effect? If not, then you have the right tool to take care of it laying on the floor.
If you decide to put in a conventional tub with shower, you'll need to remember they are only 60" long and about 32" wide. So your tub space will be contracted somewhat.
Give us some thoughts on what you want to accomplish. I like the party tub But I'm just an old broke down naildriver. We can help you.
The planter box was tiled over before:

I don't mind having a big ledge like that, but if it's used another way then that's fine too. There was a special tile behind the tile, but maybe it used to be a window too. They're putting in the framing today or tomorrow so it'll be reinforced.

The tub leaked indeed. The morons took out the waterproofing and put some crappy material under the tile. They completely jacked it up. Really stupid previous owners (they foreclosed on the house so I never met them).

The contractors told me to put a tiled tub back in there, but I have heard it's a bad bad bad idea. Expensive and just overall a crappy setup.

I want a tub for 2 people, as my girlfriend and I would love to take a bath together. I want the space to be used as a shower too, but I don't want to put in a shower door if possible. One idea was to move the shower head closer to the camera in the first picture and have it spray down at an angle so that the water doesn't get out on the ground.

Anyway, I have no idea what I'm doing, so thanks for the advice.

Old 02-25-11, 04:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Since you have it all torn out (smart move), I would put a liner in and build a pan, just like you would with a shower. It would totally waterproof the tub area, all the way up the walls a little, since you don't want water seeping into the ledge. It can all be tilted slightly for water run off by a good tile person. While you have it down, think about a rain head, or, as you said, move the shower head closer to the opening. You wouldn't find a shower door that size without special ordering it (spelled $$).
If you have the pan properly installed, you would have a great multiple body tub/shower set up!! Even if you had to put in the shower curtain, it wouldn't be the end of the earth!!
I went crazy when I added a bathroom to my weekend rental cabin, and built a 4x8 walk in shower....no door, and the head on the entrance wall, so all the water stayed in. It has a bench and a tempered window at about 6' high, non opening, about 2' x 4'. We're in the mountains so only the bear could look in, anyway.
Keep us posted, this sounds very interesting.