Corian repair

Old 03-02-11, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Corian repair

I have Corian in my kitchen and it has seen better days with a number os small surface scratches, i tried sanding a little spot but the counter seems to have faded just a little bit in that spot. Have i made a great error? is there anything i can do?

Any help would be helpful

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-11, 12:47 PM
See this link from Dupont for Corian Care & Maintenance.

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_U...aintenance.pdf

Old 03-06-11, 10:23 AM
Question looked it over

Doesn't really answer all my questions. Has anyone ever sanded down their counters with those dupont pads? just wondering about the results.

Old 03-06-11, 01:51 PM
I've used the green scotchbrite pads in the past to remove minor scratches with good results. Not sure what else you might be looking for.

Old 03-06-11, 02:44 PM
If the tops are several years old, they probably just need to be sanded and polished with a random orbit sander hooked up to a vacuum to catch the dust. You'll need to go over it several times starting with 120 grit, then 180, 280, 400, then a red or gray Scotch Bright, or Abralon pad. If you don't have the equipment you may be able to rent it or hire a solid surface fabricator to do the work. In either case try to rent or get a fabricator with a Festool RO sander and vacuum to do it. It's helpful to go over the top first marking the scratches with a black Sharpie pen. The method is to go slowly front to back overlapping 50% as you reverse direction. Then do the same from left to right. The first time over is the most important as that's when you're removing the deepest scratches. Keep the sander moving and don't stop. Sand with 120 until all black marks are gone. then wash the top with water to remove all sanding residue, dry it and repeat with the other grits until you're done. Always wash between grits. The last step can be either Scotch Bright or an Abralon pad in 500 grit. Sand in overlapping circles on the last step to avoid "corn rows" on your top. The last pad will impart a low polish on the top, and is used dry. Use the green Scotch Bright in the sink for a completely flat appearance. This can be done by hand. Using this method will leave the tops looking just like new. Take your time to get a uniform finish everywhere. Good luck

Old 03-09-11, 06:49 PM
if you want them perfect, do what ^ did.

if you want them to look good with minimal effort.
get an automotive type buffer. harbor freight, about $40ish (?). and some automotive paint polishing compound.

then have at it ! just don't stay in one spot until you get the hang of it. this will not get the scratches out. it will shine up the surface so much that you probably will not care about what is left behind.

note, this will not hid large scratches.