Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Question about solid surface kitchen countertops

Old 03-09-11, 06:04 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi -

I have an unused area in my kitchen that I'd like to convert into a desk-like area. I want to put two standard kitchen cabinets in, then have a solid surface countertop installed to create my 'desktop'.

The length of the countertop will be 52 inches. There will be an unsupported span between the cabinets of around 26 inches or so.

Is the solid surface strong enough for this span? What if I supported it with a 2x4 fastened to the wall along the underside in the back?

Are there rule-of-thumb limits to how much overhang is recommended (if I decide to make it longer than 52 inches that would require overhang on the one edge).

Thanks!

Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-11, 03:30 PM
J
Is this a built up top, two 1/2" pieces to make it look like 1"??? If yes, it should be OK. But I might add a small piece of 1/2" angle iron behind the build up.

Old 03-11-11, 01:54 PM
L
Welcome to the forums.

Solid surface like granite, or one of the manmade solid tops? What exactly do you have in mind for the top?

With 52" overall, an opening of about 26", that leave your 2 cabinets each being about 12" wide. With a cleat on the wall, your span should be fine.

Old 03-12-11, 05:56 AM
J
Sorry, I should have specified. It will be man-made (like Corian).

And not two pieces stacked; one solid piece.

What about limits of edge overhang? There is some room to extend the counter top longer (beyond the right cabinet) on the right edge (can't move the right cabinet over due to a floor vent that I don't feel like messing with). So...how far can the counter hang over beyond the cabinet?

Thanks for the replies.

Jon

Old 03-12-11, 07:27 AM
L
It can overhang several inches, even a foot or more if need be, without any problems. You'll have a cabinet on each end to support it, along with the ledger on the wall.

Old 03-12-11, 12:53 PM
C
1/2" Corian can overhang up to 6" unsupported & 12" with plywood substrate. Beyond that it needs corbels or legs under it. Normally a top like this would have the front and exposed end(s) "built up" with two layers of 1/2" Corian so it appears to be 1 1/2" thick. Then 1" plywood or other support material is added behind the buildup for perimeter support. As long as it's not particle board it can act as support for overhangs and spans, such as your kneehole space. Use a cleat on the wall to help back there. The builtup edge will help stiffen the front edge over the span. Screw it down through the corner blocks in the cabinet corners, or just put dime size dollops of silicone every 18"-24" around the perimeter. Use a paintable caulk such as Phenoseal or Polyseamseal to seal to walls. Good luck