Repairing corian countertops

Old 04-07-11, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Repairing corian countertops

Im selling my place and have noticed a number of small stratches and a few scuff marks on my corian countertops in my kitchen. Ive been told things can be purchased to fix it a up a little. IM in Canada and have looked at home depot and canadian tire and haven't found any of this softscrub cleaner or dupont pads that are supposed to help do the job. Does anyone else have any ideas? anyone done it? The countertop looks quite old and i would rather not replace it for just selling it.
PS. The scuff mark almost look like someone tried to sand it and it looks a bit dull in that spot.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-11, 10:55 PM
It's really difficult to sand & polish a Corian top by hand. You're probably right about someone trying to sand out scratches, most likely by hand, and gave up when they saw how much work it is. If you have a random orbit sander, it'll be much easier. There are lots of different sandpapers available for sanding it to get rid of the scratches, but whatever you use, there will be lots of dust. So be sure you can hook up a vacuum to the sander to control the dust. Start by highlighting the scratches with a Sharpie pen or Magic Marker so you know where they are after you start sanding, because they're really hard to see while sanding. Basically, sand with 100 to 120 grit paper until the black marks are gone. Then use 180, then 280 paper. On each step sand left & right overlapping 50% each pass. Then go front to back the same way. After the 280 you can go over it with a Scotch Bright pad (non-woven nylon pad is the generic term). The red pad will give a nice satin look to it. You can just go over the edges & sink roundover with the Scotch Bright by hand. Scrub the sink with a green Scotch Bright & Softscrub or Bon Ami powder. Following this regimen will leave the top looking new. You could also hire a local fabricator to do it. Depending on top size, it will take about 3-4 hours with the proper equipment. Good luck

Old 04-08-11, 09:27 AM
Question Ive been unable to locate Softscrub or Bon Ami powde rin canada

does anyone know somewhere what i can purchase this?

thanks.

Old 04-08-11, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I buy Bon Ami at Wal Mart

Old 04-08-11, 11:43 AM
Can you find Ajax, Comet, Bar Keeper's Friend, or Old Dutch Cleanser? They're all just scouring powders. Soft Scrub is a liquid cleaner which is supposedly non scratching, kind of like a fine polish. Any of these should be available at Wal-Mart or a grocery store, unless they have different names in Canada.

Old 04-10-11, 09:05 AM
get a cheap automotive type buffer and some polishing compound.
taking fixtures off will make for a more thorough result.
use the wool pad. apply a little compound and start slowly buffing.
you will quickly get experience and results. be carefull around edges until you get experience.

the deeper the scratch, the less this will work. but, it will quickly show you what you are up against. and it very well may be "good enough". as was the case for me.

mine still has minute scratches. but the shine is so "bling" that i don't feel the need to sand.

Old 04-10-11, 09:09 AM
any of these will work. but the 2 7" will work faster. and perhaps better.
Polishers and Buffers at Harbor Freight Tools

Old 04-12-11, 11:54 AM
All this method does is polish a scratched surface, highlighting the scratches and making it look worse. If it's worth doing, do it right.

Old 04-12-11, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by CNTRTOP View Post
All this method does is polish a scratched surface,

highlighting the scratches and making it look worse.
true.

in my experience =WRONG WRONG and WRONG.
my results are great, for the effort. about 15 mins each top.

now, i AM NOT saying that it will make the top like new, it will not. but will make a BIG difference.

Old 04-12-11, 06:44 PM
oh

let me say. this was on my pepper sand tops.
http://solidsurface.com/media/catalo.../S/S/SS_56.jpg
idk how well it would work on any other color.

but look at it this way. he was to buy the buffer anyway. so why not try the easy way first.
if that isn't good enough = get out the sandpaper and elbow grease.

Old 04-13-11, 03:14 PM
condo-owner

I bow to your superior knowledge. Apparently I have been doing it WRONG, WRONG, & WRONG for 20+ years of fabricating & installing Corian & other solid surface products. I may notify DuPont that the Corian Fabrication School instructor had it WRONG to say that glossy surfaces show scratches & abrasions more than matte & satin surfaces. I will say that the only tops we polish to a high gloss are dark colors which don't look good with a matte or satin finish, but it's not necessary to use a buffer & polishing compound for that. There are dry polishing methods available for a random orbit sander which will result in a high gloss without using high speed buffers.
The OP said that the tops looked old. My method will make it look like like new, which I would think would be a good selling point.

Old 04-19-11, 07:13 PM
let me say that i meant no disrespect in my reply. i was just reiterating what my experience was/is.

Originally Posted by CNTRTOP View Post
I will say that the only tops we polish to a high gloss are dark colors which don't look good with a matte or satin finish,
perhaps thats it.
as i showed, mine are not dark. i bought them new (new construction mistake. was 1 piece, i cut into 2), and it was high gloss. i have no idea if that was original or the contractor/whomever polished it.
but it looked great. until my wife started using hers. she wore it down to a satin finish. and it didn't look good at all. 15 mins of polishing and it looked as good as new, "if" one didn't look REAL close at it. i was plenty happy with that.