Alternative to Self-Adhesive Caulk Strips

Old 04-09-11, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alternative to Self-Adhesive Caulk Strips

Does anyone know of an alternative to the self-adhesive 'caulk' strips they sell at the big box stores? I have tried these a few times and they don't adhere very long. It seems that they shrink and pull away in the corners first. I'm trying to seal between the tub and the plastic shower surround. I don't really think I can do normal caulk because the area I want to cover is too wide -about 1/2" below the joint (the horizontal surface on the tub). The gap isn't nearly that big, but the previous owner did a DIY bathtub refinishing job and didn't remove the caulk that was there before hand. The DIY paint has actually held up pretty well, but unfortunately they did it in blue and the original tub is white. To cover that entire area up to where the blue starts with regular caulk seems impossible. The wide Homax 'caulk' strips cover it but won't last. Is there a better product or some type of trim piece I could fasten here? I've thought about buying another tub refinish kit and just touching up the part they should have painted, but I haven't seen it in that hideous blue!

A new tub or professional refinish job is not in the budget at this time, but hopefully some day.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-11, 03:34 PM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
As you said the best way is to remove all of it and also the sheetrock and install a three piece nail on enclosher. There about $300.00 but would sure look better then what you have now.
That enclosher was suppost be about 1/4 above the tub rim.
Iv'e never once seen a DIY refinishing kit work for very long.