Leaking shower door

Old 05-03-11, 07:32 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking shower door

We are having work done in the crawl space, due to water leaks. We have now found that the water leaks from under the shower door, which was installed about seven years ago at a cost of $625. The local glass company that installed the door came out to look at it and states there is nothing wrong with the door, and that "every shower door leaks." This door is frameless, except at the bottom, where a metal channel and gasket are attached.

The leak is on the hinge side of the door (which is across from the shower head), and the vinyl or rubber gasket extends the full width of the door and was replaced recently. The channel along the underside of the door (to which the gasket is attached) slightly slants downward on the hinge side.

I am willing to buy a new shower door, but how can I be sure it is leakproof? At this time, I am willing to forget about esthetics; I just want something that is functional.

Any advice?

Old 05-04-11, 03:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Shower doors never have been "leakproof". Otherwise they would be hermetically sealed around all sides. Just by virtue of opening and closing, certain amount of water will leak out, but it should be minimal and can be caught by a shower mat/rug. I shouldn't think a shower door would leak enough to ruin framing lumber below. What type flooring do you have? Tile? If the shower spray hits directly on the door, then you can expect some splatter leakage. Changing the direction of the spray may help.

Old 05-04-11, 07:59 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
As has been said, the shower door will not contain 100% of the water. The curb should have a slight pitch inward toward the shower drain so that any water on the curb runs into the shower, and not under the sweep and onto the floor outside the shower. If the curb is not properly pitched, the shower door cannot be relied upon to keep the water in the shower. The curb should also be properly waterproofed such that water making its way thru the grout lines will hit the pan liner membrane and travel inwards toward the shower drain. If your curb is not pitched properly or not constructed properly, it'll leak and cause water damage. It is more likey that this is the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: