Kitchen Backsplash

Old 05-18-11, 06:53 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Backsplash

I am removing my old kitchen cabinets and we are installing new ones. The cabinets that are in the kitchen will be removed and I am not 100% sure what it behind them. It looks to be some sort of 1/4" paneling or something like that. Once the new cabinets are in place, we will be installing a back splash. My question is what needs to be installed behind the back splash? If it is this paneling, should I remove it all and install the cabinets directly to the studs and put a cement board where the back splash will go?

Old 05-18-11, 07:09 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You don't need cement board for a back splash. Cement board is only required for wet areas like showers. You can use plain old drywall.

Old 05-18-11, 07:12 AM
L
So would you suggest just installing the cabinets over the bare studs an just installing drywall where the back splash will be?

Old 05-18-11, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It is ALWAYS beneficial (and usually code) to install drywall on 100% of wall surfaces, and fire tape it at a minimum. Only areas that are exposed would need to be finished. If you're installing wall tile on any areas then yes, you would need cement board on those areas. But you didn't say anything about wall tile.

Old 05-18-11, 11:50 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Install drywall everywhere. You do not need cement board for a ceramic tile backsplash. Cement board is required for "wet areas" only, such as the inside of a shower surround.

Old 05-19-11, 07:36 PM
C
if it is an outside wall. see that the insulation is good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: