Turning 2 small bathrooms into 1?

Old 06-08-11, 03:28 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Turning 2 small bathrooms into 1?

First time home owner and first major DIY project. The main bathroom and master bathroom are side by side only sperated by a wall. I currently have the master bath gutted. it is 5'x7.5' and the main is 8'x7.5 feet. Both are really small. Would it be worth making one bathroom out of the two? if so do I keep both entrances? Not sure if it would affect the re-sale value if I was to do that, instead of a 2.5 bath home it would be a 1.5.......maybe a 2 bath home.(see how this reno goes)

Either way I am having a very hard time deciding a layout for both, wifey wants a nice big tub to soak in and I want a nice big shower, with a window in the master bath and 2 doors to deal with I am at wits end trying to figure something out.

Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated.

Old 06-08-11, 03:55 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums

You have one other bathroom in the house - is it just a 1/2 bath?

Old 06-08-11, 04:58 PM
M
TY, yes it is just a 1/2 bath downstairs.

Old 06-09-11, 12:57 PM
S
Group Moderator
I would think turning 2.5 bathrooms into 1.5 would hurt resale but these are both small rooms - nowhere else from which you can grab some space to leave them as 2?

Also, can you put a soaking tub in the main bathroom and a shower stall in the master making two 3/4 baths (or one full bath if you add a shower head to the tub)?

Old 06-09-11, 09:19 PM
M
I've actually lost sleep over this reno, trying to picture and go over stuff in my head. It's a 4 level split home, no room at all to steal from.
I thought about just putting a shower stall in the master bath, ran it by wifey, she didn't seem to like the idea. If worse comes to worse I will just tell her making one from the two will hurt re-sale, most women respond well when it comes to money.

Also in the future there is definatly room in the basement to turn the 1/2 bath into a full bath. I would have started with that as a first reno but the master bath was a total disaster, leaky tub surround (couldn't shower), CARPET on the floor, just an all around eye soar.

Old 06-10-11, 06:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
What are the living areas around the half bath? Another way, would a tub or shower in that room get used at all?

Old 06-11-11, 05:27 AM
C
after having my shower redone. i cannot see taking a shower in a bathtub. imo, in an average home, 2 baths, 1 bathtub, 1 shower, is all that is needed. well, perhaps a toilet room somewhere.

Old 06-11-11, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Hi.

IMO you will want to retain both baths. On a Donald Trump show, a guy took a 4 bedroom house, and made it into a 3 bedroom. (Rooms where rreally small) He made a bedroom a master bath. " YOUR FIRED ". The Don says it does not matter the size of the rooms. A 4 bedroom is a 4 bedroom. A 2 1/2 bath is a 2 1/2 bath.

Anyway, I know the size master you are dealing with. I would take it that the master has a small stand up shower possibly 30x30"?

Depends on how the lay out is now. You could get a tub in there, or make it a larger shower. Then there are corner sinks, and even corner toilets. You would have to post a diagram on the layout it you would like some feed back on what you can do.

As far as the main bath, its bigger so you can do alot more. Thats where I would concentrate on the tub for the wife.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: