Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Expansion of porcelain tile on bathroom backerboard flr and walls?

Old 08-06-11, 08:17 AM
D
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, I have a 6' x 7' bathroom that I am remodeling. I have backerboard on the flr and also going up 42" on the walls. I am about to lay porcelain tile on the backerboard flr and walls.

Question: is there an expansion issue to consider? TI was surprised to hear the guy at the hardware store who said to leave 1/4" space between the flr tile and the wall for the porcelain tile expansion. I guess the wall tile might have the same issue, leave 1/4" between the bottom of the wall tile and the flr? That kind of does not make a lot of sense, that would leave a space between the wall and flr tiles. I would want to have them butted up against each other and grouted and or sealed at that 90 degree intersection.

Thanks for any insights!

Old 08-06-11, 01:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would leave a little edge, not so much for expansion, but for ease of installation. Your wall tile will cover the gap. What type tile are you using on the floor (size), and wall?

Old 08-06-11, 03:18 PM
D
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bathroom tiling

Hi,

I am using 12" x 12" porcelain tile for the flr and the wall.

Ok so I will arrange it so that the wall tile ends 1/8 of an inch above the top of the flr tile. And the flr tile will stop 1/8 of an inch before the backerboard.

And will use the grout/caulk recommended to fill in and seal the space made at that junction...

Dave

Old 08-07-11, 02:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You're on a roll!!! Let us know how it goes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: