Granite problem - am I being nit-picky?

Old 08-09-11, 09:26 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Granite problem - am I being nit-picky?

We had giallo ornamental granite countertops installed this week. Initially there wasn't supposed to be a seam, but they called the day before and told me they would need to do one, but it would not be noticeable. I said okay.

The seam looks nice and tight, but the problem is the movement or grain of the granite is going different directions. One side of the seam is vertical and the other is horizontal. It's on a corner, which helps, but still is noticable. When I stand and stare at it glares at me, but you can't notice it from far away.

Am I being nit-picky? Is this standard when there are seams in granite? It seems like the movement should all flow the same direction. And it looks like a cheap remnant job or something.

thanks for your input!

Old 08-09-11, 10:48 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can you post some pics?

Granite countertops are typically cut from a large slab. Depending on the size of your countertops the installer may not have had a choice how they cut the slab.

However, you should have been given the option to select the layout before it was cut.

Old 08-09-11, 02:55 PM
N
pics

The pictures don't quite do it justice, but you may get the general idea.

The pictures are not working for me for some reason, but here is a link. there are 2 pictures in the album.

Thanks for your input!

Old 08-09-11, 03:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
The pics didn't show

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 08-09-11, 06:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Others may have different ideas on this, but IMO the grain should have been continued around in the same direction. Now, more educated people than I are here, so wait for everyone to chime in. There may be an industry standard or a perfectly good reason for it......not for me, though.

Old 08-09-11, 06:06 PM
C
if you paid with a credit card = stop the charge. if you paid cash = learn to like it.

Old 08-09-11, 06:11 PM
N

Last edited by ncabk; 08-09-11 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 10:36 PM
C
How long is the slab to the left of the seam? If it plus the depth of the slab on the right is more than the width of the uncut slab, then that piece was cut the same direction as the other slab, then turned 90 degrees and seamed together. I'm assuming both pieces were cut from the same slab. Since the granite is so highly directional this should have been explained to you beforehand, especially since they initially indicated there would not be a seam. Ideally the grain should all run in the same direction, even if it means having an extra seam. Good luck with this.

Old 08-10-11, 01:54 PM
B
It looks like a typical install to me. I would advise against stopping payment on a credit card or check. Things should have been explained better, I agree.

How long is each leg of the counter top? If both tops are more than the width of a slab (typically around 4-5 feet) then they had no choice but to seam it there. They may also have needed to do it because of the sink location. With the sink that close to the corner it would be very easy to break.

The only way to continue the grain around in the same direction would be to cut it all from one piece or have seams every 4-5 feet on one section or the other. I have been building new homes and doing remodeling for more than 30 years and have never seen any granite supplier put seams every 4-5 feet.

Bill

Old 08-10-11, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No countertop expert...but I would think if they had put it at a 45 into the corner it might have been less noticable. Not sure if thats the way it works with granite or other natural materials.

But IMHO...if the seam is tight..surfaces are level...everything went smoothly during the job......I'd probably be inclined to let it go.

Another reason to always be on site when major milestones are being completed.

Old 08-10-11, 08:03 PM
C
typical or not. that is a HACK JOB = take the money and run. they do the same @%&* around here.

a pro job would have been a 45 into the corner.

Old 08-10-11, 09:05 PM
B
It is not a hack job. I have never seen a granite company miter the corners. I have supervised the construction of numerous million and multi-million dollar homes for very high end builders using high end granite vendors and it just is not done.

Expectations may not have been met and the process not explained well but I see nothing wrong with that top, unless (as I have already said) it could have been done with one piece.

Do you have granite tops? Have you ever supervised or even seen the installation of granite tops? Have you ever had conversations with installers and suppliers about the process? Have you ever been to a manufacturers plant and watched a granite top being made?

If not then where do you get the wisdom to tell this person not to pay his bill and call the contractor a hack? I have been doing this for over 30 years and have done all of those things except having granite in my home and I am giving a professional opinion based upon experience and knowledge of the industry.

Bill

Old 08-10-11, 09:26 PM
N
The company has agreed to replace the countertops. I didn't even ask for that, but they offered and were actually understanding even though they didn't think it was noticeable. So good customer service at least!

The problem is that they don't have any more slabs of the giallo ornamental. I have to go pick out a new slab, but I'm nervous b/c I don't want to have the a similar problem with the new slab that is not my first choice. He is coming over tomorrow to re-measure everything and discuss.

My kitchen is a semi-U shape. The countertop measurements are: (I hope this makes sense, not sure of the best way to explain this) from left side to wall (this is the sink area) 8 ft 2 in. after the corner to the stove is almost 2 ft. On the other side of the stove is 5 ft and after the corner there it's 2 ft. 4 in. (The two slabs they put together to make up the left side are 6 ft 1 in. and 2 ft 1 in.)

Thank you all for your comments and input. If you have any insight about how to handle the granite based on my measurements, that would be much appreciated! I just want to think of any other solutions for when I meet with him tomorrow. Thank you!

Old 08-11-11, 05:44 AM
B
Thanks for getting back. They could have made it from one slab on each side but did not have the material and are now replacing it, that is great.

Good luck,

Bill

Old 08-13-11, 08:30 AM
C
Originally Posted by Bill62 View Post
It is not a hack job. I have never seen a granite company miter the corners. I have supervised the construction of numerous million and multi-million dollar homes for very high end builders using high end granite vendors and it just is not done.

Expectations may not have been met and the process not explained well but I see nothing wrong with that top, unless (as I have already said) it could have been done with one piece.

Do you have granite tops? Have you ever supervised or even seen the installation of granite tops? Have you ever had conversations with installers and suppliers about the process? Have you ever been to a manufacturers plant and watched a granite top being made?

If not then where do you get the wisdom to tell this person not to pay his bill and call the contractor a hack? I have been doing this for over 30 years and have done all of those things except having granite in my home and I am giving a professional opinion based upon experience and knowledge of the industry.

Bill
Bill. with all due respect. you can call it what you want. industry standard or not, too me, that is a hack job.

yes :
i do have granite .
not only did i see the installation of my top, i helped install it*.
i talked with the owner/installer quite a bit. but not enough = one can never know ALL of the questions to ask. or requirements to make**.
i was in their shop watching part of my(and others) top being made. if i had that shop to myself. i could do it myself. (the router was pretty interesting)

no :
i did not supervise. but, if i had, the job would have turned out a LOT nicer.
these guys were pretty close to being clowns. to the point that i have to wonder how the owner got the money to open his shop.

*they didn't even bring enough guys to install it themselves. that is why i helped.
and they didn't even have all of the "mandatory" tools to do a quality job.

i am trying to to sell my granite (comes with a condo). and when i go to get granite for my next home. **i will be WAY more educated in dealing with them. and i will lay down the rules before the job gets started. if they agree, but do not comply. they will have been forwarned that they will not get paid. or not get the job.

Old 08-13-11, 08:42 AM
C
Originally Posted by ncabk View Post
The company has agreed to replace the countertops. I didn't even ask for that, but they offered and were actually understanding even though they didn't think it was noticeable. So good customer service at least!

Thank you all for your comments and input. If you have any insight about how to handle the granite based on my measurements, that would be much appreciated! I just want to think of any other solutions for when I meet with him tomorrow. Thank you!
hey, that is GREAT !!! seems they felt guilty for the hack job.

if you want a better job. 1 thing that would go far, is to pick a granite that doesn't have a "grain" to it. that way, no matter how they cut it and join it, the pattern joint will be a lot less noticeable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: