Cut tile edges, selection of pattern?

Old 12-01-11, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cut tile edges, selection of pattern?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI... again,
Please see the image at the photobucket link below for this to hopefully make sense.
I am looking for factors I have not considered to second guess my choice of tile layout. This includes how it will look if I have to have to cut tile and how the edges and grout lines will look where they meet non cut tile. ( I am concerned about the aesthetics.) We are leaning towards number 4, but there will be cut edges on the tiles 1'st, 3'rd, and 5'th up from the tub, meeting the bullnose. If we are realy concerned about that then the only choices are 1 or 3. Any Comments? The tiles are 9 7/8" by 15 3/4" and we are using 1/8" grout lines - possibly 1/4" sanded caulk at the tub line.

I also wonder if it would be bad to leave regular greenboard above 80" above floor level, rather than buying more Wedi, and continue tiling a foot or so on the greenboard / drywall.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/.../camera001.jpg

Last edited by wraiththe; 12-01-11 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 01:55 PM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I think your number 2 and 4 look best. You should try to "wrap the corners". That is if you end on the back wall with a 1/4 tile you should start with a 3/4 tile on the end wall. If you end on the back wall with a 1/2 tile you should start on with a 1/2 tile on the end wall. Get the picture? Try it and see how it lays out. It should look like a continuous flow around the whole surround.

Old 12-01-11, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No tile guy but I agree...don't like 1 or 3 at all. Just not a good look for the bigger tile.

Old 12-01-11, 03:06 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Johnny explained what I had in my head but could not articulate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: