weight of granite countertop

Old 12-27-11, 07:39 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile weight of granite countertop

In my area granite countertops are becoming very affordable. There are various comments on the forum with the quality of the material or the install but no mention of the weight. My installer says that it will add 850 lbs. to the kitchen of my beautiful 80 year old house. He checked my floor joists in the basement and said it would be ok, but I'm still worried. I know he's in the business to sell them. Has anyone had problems latter with sagging of their floor after install in their older home? Granite tile is also an option for me. Thoughts and opinions. Thanks!

Old 12-27-11, 07:48 AM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Joists

What size floor joists do you have?

What is the span?

How far apart are the floor joists spaced?

What species of wood are they?

Old 12-27-11, 07:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,224 Upvotes on 1,985 Posts
It all depends on your house so saying if there was or was not a problem on another house has nothing to do with how your house will do at supporting the extra load. There is no way around the fact that granite is heavier but in the grand scheme of what a house weighs it's relatively minor.

Are the floors and walls of your house nice and straight? If someone large jumps up and down in various parts of the kitchen does the floor move excessively or do you hear dishes rattle? It would take someone more knowledgeable than a counter top installer like a structural engineer to make a 99.999% correct decision but if the walls are straight and your floors are still level and there's not much movement with someone jumping around I'd guess that you will be in good shape. Your house has had 80 years to settle and for weak spots to be come apparent so if it's straight and fells solid, it probably is.

Old 12-27-11, 08:08 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38
What size floor joists do you have?

What is the span?

How far apart are the floor joists spaced?

What species of wood are they?
two 2"x6" roughsawn lumber doubled up about 13" apart. Virgin growth possibly, from the Rocky Mountain area where I live, but don't know the species.

Span is 10 1/2' under the kitchen.

Old 12-27-11, 08:37 AM
W
Received 24 Upvotes on 20 Posts
Granite weighs about 18 lbs per sf. While 850 lbs is a lot of weight it will be spread over the area of the countertop. If your doubled 2X6 joists are in good shape I don't see it as a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: