Mapei Keracolor S and Miracle's Grout Shield???

Old 12-27-11, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Mapei Keracolor S and Miracle's Grout Shield???

Has anyone had experience mixing these two products?
Can I get some specific details on why or why not I should use them?
Thanks

Mapei Keracolor S and Miracle's Grout Sheild

Old 12-28-11, 03:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have used Mapei for many years, not familiar with the other. My suggestion is to never mix products from different manufactures. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but a twofer rarely works. There are epoxy grouts, and some that have many of the benefits of epoxy without the work(I hate doing epoxy!!!!) But mixing to gain the benfits probably will not work.

Old 12-29-11, 11:37 PM
It's a moot point. I had a bad batch of the grout shield which was replaced by yet another bad batch. Unhappy, that I am going to have to schedule mantainence for the shower, I went with pure Keracolor S with filtered water. (rather than going out and buying spectralock and failing at grouting my first time grouting.)

Bad Batch:

Old 12-30-11, 05:23 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
My suggestion is to never mix products from different manufactures. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but a twofer rarely works.
Bill is right on with this comment. When in doubt call the manufacturer to see if they approve of the other products. Every grout manufactured is a little different so no telling how another manufacturers product might work with it.

The surround looks great, nice job. Seal the grout with a good quality sealer and you will be just fine.

Old 12-30-11, 11:00 AM
Any Reccomendations on the sealer (may start another thread on this.)

Also, I am sure it is no surprise that after talking with one or two ot the techs it became evident that they did not konw their ass from their elbow. Only one or two, but man... what a let down and wrench in it. I mean, You get used to it with computers... but///

Old 12-30-11, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
What techs? Like in a Big Box store? No surprise. There are usually one or two that actually know something (and know they don't know it all and will say so), but they can't be there all the time.

Remember...most folks in stores like that have no knowledge of their area when they start. They are just told to stock the shelves and help people find things. I worked at HD for 5 yrs, told them I had experience with electrical, hardware and wood....where did they start me in? Plumbing. I HATE plumbing. Where did they move me to about 6 months later? Millwork, doors and windows...where the other 2 guys quit within a week, because they didn't get promoted to DH. It was sink or swim. I asked questions of everyone esp our installers and contractors who had the time, called a lot of manufacturers reps and tech support people and did a lot of research off the clock. Within 6 months I was the only guy the contractors wanted to deal with.

Not everyone puts that much effort into learning their "job", cause..hey, it's just a job right? Not the way I was raised.

Old 12-30-11, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Oh...and just keep your sealer questions in this thread...1 project, 1 thread.

Old 12-31-11, 01:16 AM
actually I was refering to the techs at some of the major thinset or grout companies on their hotlines. Some of them were amazingly intelligent and knew a lot. Some were even condescending despite the fact that they did not know Sh_t, beyond what was written in the instructions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: