Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Converting small bedroom to bathroom w/washer & dryer

Old 01-01-12, 10:21 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Hubby & I have decided it's time to update our bathroom and are planning on converting the adjacent tiny bedroom into a bathroom and add in our washer/dryer. (Current bathroom will be converted into a walk-in closet for our bedroom)

I've currently come up with this a possible floor plan. Looking for any pro's/con's in this design.

Bathroom in Bathroom

Thanks & Happy New Year to all!
Vicki

Old 01-01-12, 12:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Have you considered how easy/hard it will be to relocate the plumbing?

Old 01-01-12, 04:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Even if there is access below, you will have to add vents. That can't be done without getting into walls.

Old 01-01-12, 08:11 PM
M
We do plan on taking out the sheetrock in that room (it needs replacing anyway) thus having access to the walls for the venting. There is also ample room below to get to the plumbing to re-route the drainage, water supplies and electrical.

Other than those obstacles, does the floor plan itself appear logical?

Thanks for any input!

Old 01-01-12, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Whever there is enough room, and from what I have seen in design of larger baths is to keep the toilets and vanitys farther from each other or a type of divider.

Often a short privacy wall is installed to give a better confined toilet area. The spouse often needs to come in to get something usually when I am in there. Its true.... My wife does it all the time. I end up reading herwhat the weekly sales are from the newspaper... LOL...

Mike NJ

Old 01-05-12, 07:30 AM
M
venting question

Thanks for the suggestion about the privacy wall....if you could see what our current bathroom looks like, adding a privacy wall would be like adding a whole other room!lol

Hubby and I haven't been able to agree on the placement of the tub and washer/dryer. He feels it should go right across from the door opening (as shown in the previous layout), but I wonder if it shouldn't go where the tub/shower is located?? (In essence just swapping the two).

Would the venting of the dryer make any difference in either layout? What is the best way for dryer venting...down and out or up and out?

This project probably won't actually start for a couple of months, but want to be sure we do alot of researching before we actually begin!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: