Tile wall behind vanity in bathroom

Old 01-24-12, 05:54 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tile wall behind vanity in bathroom

Hello,
I am planning to install subway tiles from floor to ceiling on the wall in my bathroom behind the vanity. Is it acceptable to install the tile directly on the drywall, or do I need to rip it out and put cement board in? I would think that because it will not be a wall constantly hit by water (i.e. shower), the drywall would be fine. Should I be concerned about the weight of the tile being supported on the wall?

Thank you,
Todd

Old 01-24-12, 06:56 AM
T
Follow-up information

Follow-up information. I apologize, but I left out the wall size. The wall to be tiled is about 6-7 feet wide and 8 feet tall.

Thanks again,
Todd

Old 01-24-12, 01:06 PM
A
mastic and drywall are perfectly fine in this area. weight would not be a concern. I would use the better mastic tho

Old 01-24-12, 02:27 PM
T
Thank you.

I read in several places that mastic was not good for bathrooms. Even if not used on in a shower, being in the bathroom with all moister could cause a problem.

Have you not found this the case and would recommend using Mastic over Thinsit or a bag of dry mix?

Thanks again
Todd

Old 01-24-12, 06:33 PM
A
type 2 mastic is rated a little more moisture resistant. i recomended it for outside of wet areas. unless you have a real condensation issue, then the mastic is appropriate. Its easier to work with and provides a very good bond, if you are a DIYer, this is the easiest route. Read the directions on the bucket as to the substates, open time, correct trowel size etc.

Old 01-24-12, 07:42 PM
T
Thanks again. I appreciate your help and recommendations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: