Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Does anyone make a 30x60 shower pan and surround?

Old 01-25-12, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have Googled until my eyes are bleeding, but I can't seem to find anything except Swanstone or Tile-Redi shower pans to replace my old tub with. (I don't want either--I've no interest in trying to install/clean/maintain tile.)

Since we discovered that no matter how we added it up, the Onyx we had hoped to get was out of budget, I was hoping for just a plastic surround and pan like what you can get from Sterling (Vikrell). I just can't seem to find one in my size (30 x 60 LH drain). Do you know of any that I'm either not digging hard enough for or simply am unaware of that are good quality and solid with the storage shelving (I'm sure there's a better term for this) in the corner instead of the back wall?

Please none of those flimsy "cut to fit" type things....our current leaky surround is that, which is a good portion of why we're doing this remodel to start with.

Last edited by Capable_Wife; 01-25-12 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-26-12, 04:30 PM
J
Why not Swansone??? I have done a few and the customers are still happy with them 5-10-15 yrs later. Apparently, your fingers have been looking in the wrong places. I am sure there is something out there.

Old 01-27-12, 12:42 PM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
The size you are looking for is unusual and probably too small. That 30" dimension is from front to back and includes a curb so the inside dimension will be something smaller, perhaps 24" or 25". The 60"x36" units will give you the extra couple of inches to make the inside dimensions more comfortable.

You should also consider moving the drain to the center of your new shower unit. It's typicallty not hard to do and there are more shower unit options to choose from.

Im curious, did you remove a tub or an existing stand alone shower unit? With those dimensions, most likely a tub I'm guessing.

Show us some pictures of what you have. Perhaps a slightly wider unit might work.

Old 01-27-12, 12:46 PM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Im curious, did you remove a tub or an existing stand alone shower unit? With those dimensions, most likely a tub I'm guessing.
Ok, I see you have another thread going so its a tub that you removed. You should be aware that you need a 2" drain line for a shower. Most likely, your tub drain line is only 1 1/2" so you'll have to replace it anyway. All the more reason to move it to the center.

Old 01-27-12, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the replies Johnny and Bill!

Swanstone was out of the budget, that's why I didn't want it. I'm sure it's a fine product though.

Sterling has just come out with a retrofit shower option that will work for my space (it's 31", but applies directly to studs, so will just fit in my space). It's in their Ensemble collection, and you can find it on their website, but it's still a bit tricky to find in stores (Lowe's told me 2-3 weeks to pick it up). If it'll help anyone else, the number is: 72170110-0 and it's on their website here.

I guess instead of online searches, I should have just called them to start with, since their website didn't show me this option when searching for 30x60 showers. You get so used to being able to find everything you need online so when it doesn't show you begin to panic that such things don't exist.

I don't really want to move the drain actually, though we will be increasing the size to the 2" pipe. After thinking about it, I'd rather not stand on the drain if I have another option. Plus, that way it could easily be plugged (and out of the way) for bathing a baby should that be necessary. (It won't be necessary for us, but who knows who'll be here after us.)

We really need a "solved" button or something, so that we can indicate that our needs have been met and so that other people can search and see what worked for us.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: