Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Can you buy PLAIN (unlaminated) rolled edge countertops?

Old 01-26-12, 09:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Need to replace countertop (has water damage) and am considering installing laminate myself. I have some odd size ctops and need to cut costs.

Can't seem to find this. I do not want square edges if I can help it.

Old 01-26-12, 12:22 PM
J
HI Jvallee, I don't know if any countertop manufacturers would sell unfinished substrate. The process is actually fairly complex and they don't use the same grade of laminate that you can buy at the local box store. The stuff used for post forming is much thinner and the process involves heat and pressure to allow the material to move without cracking. If you want to build your own, you could build them with a square edge and attach a piece of hardwood to trim it out and cover. The wood could then be shaped with any number of router bits to almost any profile you need. You could then clear finish the wood or paint to go with the counter top color.

Good Luck with it!
Jim

Old 01-26-12, 03:25 PM
J
Can you do it.........NO. It takes a lot of expensive equipment. Can you buy the same thing you need to replace, probably. I hesitate to suggest it, but check big box stores, then check local suppliers of laminate and/or countertops.

Old 01-26-12, 04:32 PM
J
Thanks

Thanks for the info.... I just discovered an 8 ft section of countertop in the garage.. will prob use it for replacement and try the Giani Countertop Granite Paint kit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: