Adding a Shower Lip

Old 01-31-12, 09:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a Shower Lip

Just moved into a new house, the old owners have a shower that's tile but has no lip only a slight angle in the centre to draw water inwards (thinking wheel chair accessible). I'd like to add my own lip tothe edge of the shower. I haven't had any luck googling about adding the lip only working with pans that include lips or building your own during construction.

Is it possible to add a shower lip after the fact? What materials would I need?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-12, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
A lip can be added. Will it look OK is another question. A cheap and easy way to add a lip is to simply glue a plastic strip in place with caulk. It will not withstand much abuse but it will help to keep water in the shower. A more proper fix would involve carefully removing some of the tile in your shower. Building a structure of wood masonry, extending the shower pan or waterproof membrane and re-tiling. For the expense and mess I would consider remodeling the shower as long as it was being torn up and out of commission.

Old 02-01-12, 11:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
If your accessible shower was built correctly, the waterproofing on the floor extends out of the direct shower area so that any water on the floor eventually makes its way to the drain. Other than some water on the floor, it shouldnt create any problems. There is no easy way to construct a curb after the shower has been built. Curbs are built the same time as the shower pan, and the continous waterproofing extends from the pan over the top of the curb to the outside of the curb. You would have to remove some of the tile (and maybe deck mud), determine what kind of waterproofing you have, and figure out how to extend the waterproofing over the curb. Depending on how the floor/pan was originally waterproofed, you may be able to add a curb. You will not know until you do some exploratory surgery.

Old 02-01-12, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Hey Ryan...
I saw an episode of your guy Holmes a while back and they actually added a rubber curb to a handicap shower. It was a flexible rubber type material that a wheelchair could roll over but it was about 1 1/2" high when not compressed. I can't remember exactly how it was adhered to the tile. Of course they had waterproofed the entire bathroom with Kerdi beforehand.