[oven vent] - possible to install?

Old 02-07-12, 10:25 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
[oven vent] - possible to install?

my small studio loft condo does not have an installed oven vent, but merely a microwave installed above the stove with a charcoal filter of which does little (the exhaust blows out the top of the microwave - it is not dispersed outside my condo).

there is a passive vent installed above my oven (4"x4" vent) that, along with my bathroom vent, are run through the building and eventually dispersed out to the ceiling.

i assume i would NOT be able to install an oven vent and connect it to the passive vent for fear of oils collecting in the vent and becoming rancid or possible fire hazard (due to what i assume is a very long vent path to the ceiling).

the only other option i have is to run a vent from my kitchen area to the exterior boundary, and drill through the concrete boundary and install a vent. the path length would be approx 30ft. i would obviously have to get HoA approval before doing this - but im curious in whether any of these options are feasable?

would the charcoal filter on many of the oven vents catch most of the oils, and then the smoke/air could be discharged via the vent?

do i have any other options?

thank you,

Old 02-07-12, 03:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Correct, connecting to another vent is probably not a good idea. 30' is probably too far for most MW ovens, and it sounds like a LOT of work. Those charcaol filters generally do a good job, but they do need to be replaced periodically.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: