Backer board and backsplash...before or after?

Old 02-15-12, 06:48 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Backer board and backsplash...before or after?

I removed kitchen counter top and wall tile to replace both. Drywall is pretty beat up from tearing off tile. I tried patching and smoothing with joint compound, but am concerned that it's just not good enough to re-tile over so I plan to put up 1/4" backer board.

The question is whether I wait until granite counter top and granite backsplash are installed before putting backer board up (to tile remaining wall) OR whether I put the backer board up before I install the granite. I'm concerned that if I put it up behind the granite, the granite won't be flush with the wall beyond the cabinets. However, if I just mount it above the granite, the tiles I add will be almost flush with the granite backsplash.

Assuming the wall is in good enough shape to mount the granite as-is, do I just do that and then add backer board or do I put backer board all the way down to the wood cabinets now?

If I had the time and money, I'd just take all the cabinets out and re-drywall everything...unfortunately not an option.

Thanks for any guidance.

Old 02-15-12, 09:03 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You dont need cement board there. Cut out the damaged drywall and replace it with new drywall before you put the counter top back in.

Old 02-15-12, 09:06 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Ignore this post. Wrong Thread

Last edited by HeresJohnny; 02-15-12 at 10:59 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: